Returning to modeling

twforeman

Certified Great Northern Nut
Long long ago in a galaxy far away...

No, that's not right.

Anyway, when I was a teenager (which was long, long ago) I had an over-ambitious model railroad that I was constructing in my bedroom. Since I was a teenager, funds were tight, and it didn't get much further than some benchwork and a few cars. But I never gave up the dream. I've had a subscription to Model Railroader and been an armchair modeler for many, many years.

Eventually my own kids moved out and now I have a spare bedroom to work in. I dug out the boxes that I've moved from house to house, made an inventory, discussed a budget with the CFO and started building. I have all the benchwork up, lots of cars built, a couple locomotives with DCC and some track put down.

I finally got my backdrop up and am going to town on the scenery. This is so much fun!

Here are a couple of photos.

My Tenshodo Consolidation (pre-backdrop installation)
DiQO7Sul.jpg

A scenery (still in progress) glamour shot
kJ0YKX9l.jpg

Lots more details and photos on my layout blog https://www.blackwingandwestern.com/ and my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/blackwingandwestern/

Go slow. Don't over-buy. Be conservative in your plans..Don't make a spaghetti bowl of trackage...If you just want to watch trains rolling, then make a continual (roundy round)..If you like prototype ops, consider a point to point road with turning facilities at one or both ends via wye, turntable, or balloon track (usually found in large passenger ops or some industrial ops)..You don't need shouldered ballast under yard or passing-siding trackage. Finally: Try to incorporate an interchange to justify how cars from other RRs get onto, or depart from your RR; a connection to the outer world.....
The Connie looks great ... M

Go slow. Don't over-buy. Be conservative in your plans..Don't make a spaghetti bowl of trackage...If you just want to watch trains rolling, then make a continual (roundy round)..If you like prototype ops, consider a point to point road with turning facilities at one or both ends via wye, turntable, or balloon track (usually found in large passenger ops or some industrial ops)..You don't need shouldered ballast under yard or passing-siding trackage. Finally: Try to incorporate an interchange to justify how cars from other RRs get onto, or depart from your RR; a connection to the outer world.....
The Connie looks great ... M

I'm modeling a pretty simple switching layout in a medium sized town. There will be a good handful of trackside industries to switch. I envision running a daily train to drop off and pickup loads.

I'm hoping to expand the layout after the first section is mostly done to add a locomotive servicing area with a turntable, but we'll see how that goes.

I might be possible to loop around the room, but there are two doors to deal with, so a continuous run will wait until I get tired of just switching.

Welcome to the forum. It must be nice to finally get back to the hobby. Looking forward to seeing your progress and hope you post photos. We really like photos. My layout sounds similar to yours as it was built mainly for switching.

Welcome to the forum. It must be nice to finally get back to the hobby. Looking forward to seeing your progress and hope you post photos. We really like photos. My layout sounds similar to yours as it was built mainly for switching.

I like taking and posting photos, but I'm not sure where to start a thread. Should I just start a build thread in the HO section? Or in the "Showing Off" section? Or in the "General Discussion" section?

I'd love to have a running thread where I post photos. I do have a blog (in my sig) where I post semi-regularly.

You could possibly post it on Virtual Layout Tours. That's where I posted my Logan Valley, but I also post them in the Coffee Shop.

I love to watch the members layouts progress. Sort of like watching a child grow up. Unfortunately on my post, a lot of photos were lost when Bob updated or changed the server for the forum.

I like taking and posting photos, but I'm not sure where to start a thread. Should I just start a build thread in the HO section? Or in the "Showing Off" section? Or in the "General Discussion" section?

I'd love to have a running thread where I post photos. I do have a blog (in my sig) where I post semi-regularly.
In the Project Room forum, there is a sub-forum for Layout Design and Construction. A lot of build threads (mine included) are there.

Welcome to the forum! I am a returning hobbyist as well. Pictures look great. I will be checking in on your blog.

-Z

Hi. Read your reply to me on Fri 11:16 am. You sound very much like an Ops guy..If so, even if you do expand the size I think you should still keep it point to point.. I say this as my personal taste, not a criticism toward lovers of continuals: To me, keeping it point to point will create even more proto Ops opportunities.. Your 'ends of the line' can be larger and more elaborate. Once you make it a loop it's no longer prototypical.
My last layout was a fictitious switchback/bridge route. Our main job was lifting/lowering cars between 2 interchanges; one on lower land and one on upper land..with some spurs en route. Upper peninsula had a wye and engine house. Lower was a medium yard and interchange. Staging was 0-5-0ing cars at both ends, where the 2 mains ran to the edge of the benchwork.. I loved this kookie HO concoction which kept me very busy running her..Alas I was forced after 20 years in this apartment to demolish it and vacate, new landlord using the Ellis Act (wikipedia it) to remove me... Haven't built anything since then, some 5-ish yrs later in newest dwelling..Dang I miss not having a layout...M

Well I am back rising from the ashes....I have been away for some time now like several years lol oh my..... life is what happens to you when you are making plans. A lot has changed for me. I lurked here a bit for the past few weeks and I and happy to see so many dedicated folks still around. I will be starting a few threads on my status in the hobby and a new layout build in my new home soon. Good to see ya'll here.

I will have to update my profile a little bit too....

Peace,
James

Last edited:

Back