Rerailer ramps

This one is by Kato. Fits easier into carry case when taken your trains to another layout. This is my choice for travel mode to train shows. I also us it in my classification yard when building trains for op sessions.

1686310192931.png

This one is by Bachman. Provides a wider run up to the wheel alignment. We have this version at our club layout. Never heard any complaints about it.

1686310267272.png

This is by Atlas. This works great on the layout where ya usually load rolling stock onto the tracks, i.e. staging yard or sorting yard. I have this on several tracks of my staging yard for visiting operators to set their trains up.
Rerailer Atlas.jpg

Oh, I forgot, I have 3 of the re-railer track sections that came from "The Estate Sale" da da da dahhhh. I should put that in my signature, Almost everything I have came from this one estate sale. 😂 :p

Ya want to be cautious of what ramp ya use. Lesser known designs may be too steep to rail longer rolling stock. Both trucks must remain surfaced in order to rail them properly.

This one is by Kato. Fits easier into carry case when taken your trains to another layout. This is my choice for travel mode to train shows. I also us it in my classification yard when building trains for op sessions.

View attachment 169629

This one is by Bachman. Provides a wider run up to the wheel alignment. We have this version at our club layout. Never heard any complaints about it.

View attachment 169630
This is by Atlas. This works great on the layout where ya usually load rolling stock onto the tracks, i.e. staging yard or sorting yard. I have this on several tracks of my staging yard for visiting operators to set their trains up.
View attachment 169632
The last one is by Atlas, looks like a Hornby one.

1686402865013.png

Learned the hard way when I let one zoom down and bust a brand new MTL coupler. I can get 2 n scale 2 bay covered hoppers on mine. 6 axle diesels always overhang the top when the first truck gets railed.

The Rix one works well. Many/most of us have one. But....it does take up some room. It needs to lay flat on the rails, and that makes its length a problem where space on the rails is tight, even if there are fragile structures or utility poles, trees, a fence, etc surrounding the location.

It works, like the railroad grade crossing one by Bachmann, about 95% of the time. Sometimes, seldom, the item to be placed on the rails doesn't quite make it on its descent down the ramp. A repeat should work.

Good idea, don't want this to happen.

Could be one of those unmanned gravity parking things they have in the US.. I am not sure what the process is called officially but it is a thing where you release rolling stock to go "park itself"/stop in a shunting zone. :eek:
Would have thought tankers would be a no-no though (depending on what it is tanking)

I use the blue Kato re-railer that comes with the M2 kit. Works great, it does make the trains go "weeee" :D down the track though but they stop eventually. I think when using N gauge or smaller it is an essential thingy, I tried to rail my 10 car TGV once manually.... it was almost impossible and gave up fast!

Last edited:
For N scale, I have a Rix and a KAto. The Kato is better, but they both work. The Kato just seems to be better.. not as steep, and it sits on a slight curve better. The Rix doesn't like anything except razor straight section to use it upon.

I use the Atlas rerailer sections around the layout, especially in the mountains at each end of my layout. I am planning on making a ramp when I get a working 3D resin printer (my first unit was DOA- very sad.) I also made a couple grade crossings for roadways with blinking cross-bucks and used the center fill plastic as a rerailer- works pretty well.

Back