Replacing trucks and couplers on the Tyco ATSF 7240 caboose

rglaicp

The truck/coupler assembly on this car (from the late '60s snaps into the underframe with the trucks riveted to the metal spring. The couplers are in a pinned metal enclosure. I'd like to update to Kadee trucks and couplers. Any thoughts will be welcome.

The truck/coupler assembly on this car (from the late '60s snaps into the underframe with the trucks riveted to the metal spring. The couplers are in a pinned metal enclosure. I'd like to update to Kadee trucks and couplers. Any thoughts will be welcome.
Can you post a foto or two of the coupler?

Without a photo, it's hard to tell you exactly what to do. It should be possible with a little surgery. Generally, the coupler boxes are trimmed off the trucks and new Kadee boxes, springs and couplers can be body mounted, possibly needing shims. I generally leave the truck as is and just replace the wheelsets with Kadee metal wheelsets. I always use a truck tuner before inserting the new wheels.

Here's what they look like. The rectangular clip in the top photo snaps into the underbody and the whole assembly
IMG_0103.jpg
IMG_0104.jpg
is riveted to the truck frame. I can't believe that they used all this metal on a $3.00 car.

The metal clip will lift off, you can use either a Kadee #5 with the copper spring or a Kadee #148 whisker coupler as a direct replacement, then replace the metal clip.

Here's what they look like.
I think you will have to press or drill out the pin on the coupler box. Then use a #51 drill to make a hole the right size for a 2-56 tap. If the metal is too thin to take a tap, then use a 2-56 nut. Then either replace the metal cover with the coupler lid from a Kadee #5 set, or if you want to use the original metal cover, then use a spacer from a Kadee #213 coupler box set so the #5 coupler won't wobble on the 2-56 screw.

https://www.kadee.com/shop-by-categ...lers/213-ho-scale-20-series-gearboxes-sleeves

Back