Repairing a Life Like E8 Cow Catcher

Hi All

I just finishing converting a Life Like E8 Santa Fe Ho loco to DCC and I accidentally dropped the loco much to my disappointment. As a result I chipped the cow catcher (see image below). I don't know where the missing piece is unfortunately. Does anyone know a fix for this or where to buy a replacement?

Best regards
George

Attachments

• IMG20220224175536.jpg
    IMG20220224175536.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 82
Hmm that’s a tough one!
Other than finding a cheap donor unit best bet might be 3D printing or resin casting?
You might be able to fabricate a patch from styrene too.
Thanks for the post. You know a 3D printer may not be a bad investment. As it happens I own a few E8s and noticed I had a spare guard for some reason in one of the boxes. That was a stroke of luck. I will try and repair the old one now that emergency is over and I have a replacement. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Those are called "pilots" or in some cases "snowplows" depending on shape. If you have Proto 2000 locomotives, many of their E-units came with two sets of pilots to provide some customization depending on the railroad. I think my CNW E8 from them came with two slightly different shaped pilots.

For replacements, Cal Scale made one in brass, here's one on Ebay:

Details West makes a cast snowplow version, but it may not be appropriate for yours, I don't know if the ATSF ever used this style on their E8s.

Detail Associates also made a "passenger pilot" in HO:

And I thought Details West also made an E-unit/F-unit detail kit that included a pilot...but I can't seem to find any pictures of that online, so I might be mistaken. I've been at several hobby stores over the last couple months looking through boxes of detail sets; I wasn't looking for E-unit parts, however, but I seem to remember seeing something that included a pilot in that shape. In any event, these replacements would likely require some fitting to attach to your locomotive.

Thank you so much for the post, I live in Australia the term cow catcher was used in the early days it may well have changed since but pilot sounds much friendlier I can assure you. I really appreciate the suggestion I will certainly follow this up as having spares on hand will always be handy.

Back