Removing plastic window glazing

GN.2-6-8-0

I have several Pullman Palace cars i picked up at swapmeets a few years back. unfortunely the previous owner had built the kits up ....very nicely I'll admit but he failed to paint them.
Now wishing to paint and finish detailing them find the biggest problem is trying to remove the glued in window glazing leaving a clean surface on the inside of the carbody in order to reinstall fresh glazing.
using an exacto with a no.11 blade while working fairly well I'm concerned about breaking the thin window mullions and am hoping there's gotta be a better way.
Anyone have any better suggestion's :confused:

It was most likely one of the liquid glue's.
Bit leery of using acetone' afraid it might eat the plastic around the edges of the window frames' maybe I'll just try to use a chisel blade verrry gently and hope for the best :D

Acetone is probably going to do exactly that. I have used a file before and file right thru the window film. The small dividers will still be a trick this way but maybe they arent glued as well. Usually you can get the film thin enough it will scrape off.

You can use liquid masking film like the Bob Dively product at http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/div/div3000.htm. Just paint the cars with windows covered with the liquid mask. After it's all dry, you can peal off the fillm and have nice clear windows without the problems of taking out and putting back in the plastic windows.

I plan on using slide glass to replace the original thin clear plastic provided with the kits.after several hours of carefully working around the edges was able to finish all four cars without damaging anything :D
Heres a picture of one of the Diners.

Now another question: One of the observation cars has the dry transfers supplied installed,no clear coat (lucky me) question' what will it take to remove this lettering? I 'm hoping soaking the carbody in warm soapy water for awhile and scrubbing with a stiff toothbrush might work ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I get it now. You were trying to get the windows out, not paint the cars with the windows in. Poor reading comprehension skills. At any rate, use a q-tip and some solvaset or something similar. Let it soak for about five minutes and that dry transfer should come right off.

Okey dokers' Solvaset worked great removing the D/Ts.
Now for the fun part,It ocurred to me I'd really like to have a true varnish consist which should be a mahogany color I think! instead of the standard pullman green sooo' seeing as no one makes that color wondering what would come closest? Found one called LV red.... Lehigh Valley from Polly Scale think that might work with a gloss finish.
Anyone ever try mixing up something to match mahogany? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Back