Removing glued down track

jackn2mpu

More properly: how do I remove an Atlas turnout (#6 HO code 83) that I have affixed to my layout with ballast? I use Elmer's white glue mixed 50-50 with water for gluing the ballast down. Ballast is Woodland Scenics. Cork roadbed. This is a turnout that's been down for years so getting it up isn't going to be easy. Let's put it this way - I have no need for track nails or spikes with this method. I don't want to destroy anymore scenery surrounding the track than absolutely necessary.

Soak with water and use a putty knife? Heat with a hair dryer? Don't want to melt the ground foam alongside if I can help it.

Yeah, just keep soaking it till it starts to give way.

Right, and you will be able to salvage everything but the glue. I ripped up my whole layout and most of the cork was also salvageable. A couple drops of liquid detergent in the water, a putty knife and you can save it all or disgard anything you don't want

Cheers
Willis

Right, and you will be able to salvage everything but the glue. I ripped up my whole layout and most of the cork was also salvageable. A couple drops of liquid detergent in the water, a putty knife and you can save it all or disgard anything you don't want

Cheers
Willis
Even after it's been down for years?

Even after it's been down for years?

Yes, mine was down for about 4 years maybe more. Even if you had used non diluted glue the water would still dissolve the glue. Actually I just liberally wetted it down, let it soak in for overnight, then again sprayed another liberal spray of wetted water and then worked the putty knife under the track. After the track is up using the putty knife you can remove the ballast (any glue remaining is very diluted and weak. Then again with the putty knife you can get the roadbed up using more water for tough spots.
If you used "liquid nails" or other permanent bonding materials it could be a total loss.

Cheers
Willis

Thanks much for the help. Wasn't sure which way to go and figured I'd put out a call for help and see what the accumulated wisdom is. It's funny - in all the years of building layouts (5+ decades), with the exception of dismantling an old layout, this is the first time I have to pull up trackwork for repair. What actually happened was that where the points are attached to the throwbar one of the rails has broken loose from the rivet Atlas uses and rather than mess around with the rails each time I align the turnout (I use ground throws) I'd replace the whole turnout.

isopropyl alcohol will dissolve the white glue much faster than water, still won't hurt anything.

I used adhesive caulking for my railroad. Its gonna be a pain to rip that stuff up.
I used that to hold the ballast on the sides of the cork roadbed, but regular Elmer's white glue and water mixed 50-50. Good thing I didn't use Elmer's yellow construction glue as I think that stuff is waterproof.

Back