removing decals

Ok I have a loco that im thinking of trying to reletter to my road, however all I want to remove is the current name on it which reads "Southern" so I want to just remove the name, but keep the road numbers on it, now when I run my hand on the lettering I do feel raised up letters so I assume they are not sealed or what ever, so I have some 50% and 91% alchol to use, so to make sure I do this right do I just need a small drop of either and let it sit for say a minute or so then peal off or whats the correct process to ensure the lettering is removed with out any issues??

pics of the engine in question can be supplied if needed.

Thanks for the help!

PS: yes im reading through the other threads that im finding on this but still unsure of the exact steps and timing things to make sure the paint is un touched!

Factory produced models are not lettered with decals, the lettering is printed on using paint pads. Every manufacturer seems to do it differently, so there may be many methods to remove factory lettering. Some comes off great, with no problems. Others comes off OK, but sometimes the underlying paint also comes off, or if it doesn't, there remains a sheen where the letters were.

I've removed paint using cotton swabs (like Q-Tips) soaked in Walthers Solvaset numerous times with varying results. Also rubbing alcohol seems to work at times, both processes require a lot of rubbing, being careful re the paint underneath.

There are many other methods, best to keep on looking, letting people know which brand of model you want to work on.

Sometimes, I've had success with using a knife blade, #15 & #11 on pad painted lettering.

But generally for me, its just easier to strip the item, re-paint it and then reletter it.

ok part of the reason I want to try to avoid repainting is because I don't know the shade of green it uses, and the fact that the numbering I don't have decals of, nor the ones on the red front...but I suppose worst case if I need to I can try a full repaint with reletter with a font I like...

Ok little update work here spent 5 minutes with my friend 91% and got the lettering off that I wanted to, so now im just thinking what I want to do from here...

IMG_1137_zpsa5d03205.png

IMG_1138_zps863f2824.png

Back