removable bridges

Airslide

The Flange Squeal
ok, not actually planning my layout yet as far as creating a track plan, but there is an ongoing storm in my brain about what my grand layout will become: two benches. 1 8X20 and 1 L shape of aprox the same size. I want an emphasis on industry and operation but these two benches will be on opposite sides of the space i have (aprox 22X27). this will be ideal for this space as it will still give me ample room to still move around. i am interested in ideas, thoughts, pros/cons, photos etc. of one or two track main lines that pass a door or walkway that can easily be removed. both benches will be able to operate running trains independently but the real goal will be to have trains run between the two "towns" using some sort of removable or draw bridge to allow access to the door in this space. Im sure something like this has been done before but i was not able to find anything on google. ideas comments or suggestions are always appreciated.

It is quite common. We call them by several names, depending on how they are displaced for access to another space. For example, "swing-up, swing down, lift out, and swing away". Only the lift out version is not hinged...the rest are.

All you need for a completely lifted out version is alignment pins. You also need to figure out how to get power to the rails atop the structure. This can be done via the pins, themselves. In some cases the alignment pins comprise stereo jacks which can easily be wired for two rail power.

One other critically important aspect is to find a way to kill power to the 18" of rails ending at the precipices on either side of the gap when you don't have the bridge in place for operation. Many is the operator whose week was ruined when he ran a locomotive, unbeknownst to him, off the edge because it was on fully powered rails. When the bridge is out, so to speak, so must the last 18" of rails on either edge of the bridge gap be without power. That will safely stall the engine.

-Crandell

Hey, Air. As others will no doubt tell you- try not to install a bridge across the door if at all possible. Mine was always a pain. It looked great, all 3 feet of it. It crossed a 2 1/2 foot doorway. But lifting it out every time you had to go through got to be really old fast. After a while I was crawling under it.

I finally come up with another solution. The train room was an area of the attic partitioned off for climate control. The door went out into the heat or cold (depending on the season) and over to the attic stairs. The main line that used to cross in front of the door now punched thorough the wall out into the attic, around the stairs, and back in the wall on the other side of the door. It made operating sessions interesting as I would see the long coal drag disappear into a tunnel, then return through another tunnel on the other portion of bench work, a few minutes later. It was literally a dark section of line. I must have had track work that was pretty good. I don't recall ever having a derailment out there.

I would think that an operating drawbridge (rather than a lift-out or a regular hinged section) would be a rather cool feature. You might be able to work it in so that it adds to operations rather than just being a nuisance.

Back