Remote Switches - Operation Question

jackstrat

On remote track switches, I just read that you should only press the "button" for 1 second to energize them. I figured prior to reading that that I could use a toggle switch, but evidently, that is not the case, correct?

If so, my idea of small children pressing these buttons will be problematic, as chances are they will press and hold them for some period of time.

I am beginning to think I should wait a few years.....

Jack

not really. with proper CDU (capacitor discharge unit) circuit you can leave your button pressed as long as you please - with capacitor discharged and feed blocked , the coil will not get any more juice that it needs to activate.
it is also possible to use toggle switches if thats your preferred method, you just need a proper circuit to pulse that coil once.

then there are slow motion (stall motor) switch machines, completely different breed altogether

You can also use momentary toggles, where the toggle is naturally held in the energized position for a short period of time. A toggle switch also gives some feedback, e.g., up if lined for the main and down if lined for the diverging route. Assuming you're using standard Atlas switch motors, they will take a suprising amount of abuse from over current before anything bad happens.

Back