Red Mountain Mine

GaryMc

Started this a few weeks ago and will be using to build a diorama. Was going to build an ore tipple across the tracks from the mine but found an article in NGSLG that had the tipple built under the mine that looked great, so that is what I decided to do. First time using foam so on a steep learning curve so any tips would be appreciated on carving and finishing.

Gary, Do you have a Dremel Tool w/a lot of different bits. They are nice for carving. When I use to use Foam for hills & mountains I used a 4in. grinding wheel on my Air Die Grinder & my 90* elect. hand grinder. But, I had a lot larger area to do. A Dremel would be better for you or a Hot Wire Cutter. The Hot wire cutters were always outside of my budget though. I'm CHEAP. I use tools I have in my Shop.

When you use white bead foam it has a tendency to disappear faster than the other stuff. So, when you finish your carving & clean up the loose stuff, use a lot of coats of paint to seal up the pores. I use to use all of my latex paint up that I had left over from other projects. If you start out w/a flat white as the 1st coat & then mixed ground colors after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that's a steep curve, I'd like to know what you consider a learning cliff? Great job. Very inspiring. Keep it up. Subscribed.

I also use wire brushes to shape. I have a favorite one w/ a plastic handle and the end bristles round out. I use it to really rasp out an area, smooth fine, or shape. I have even cut rocks into it fast(one on right works well for rocks)...works best if you can go outside or use a vac near your area(makes a mess!)...Below are my brushes(plastic one on left, rock one on right)), a smooth area I did (this is done by lighty brushing) and a rock area. I shapped this with a 45% rasps till deep scatches were made then a few swips opposite way and painted.

Pic didnt attach to last post.

And I like your mine project!...Thats going to be a great scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for the tips, Larry the grinder works pretty good just have to hang on tight as it wants to get away...was able to smooth everything out with the grinder now to add some rock details.

Built the cribbing out of 1/4" dowels and shaped the foam with a grinder, utility knife and a wood rasp. Now for some plaster and painting.

red_mountain_mine_039.jpg

Added a powder house cast out of plaster and carved, 18" mine track from grandt line and made a few trees with several more to do...the end is in sight.
red_mountain_mine_071.jpg

red_mountain_mine_061.jpg

red_mountain_mine_055.jpg

What a fabulous job you're doing, Gary... :)

Will your wooden chute be able to dispense ore into a hopper? Even if it was just a manual feature, that would be really cool.

Greg

What a fabulous job you're doing, Gary... :)

Will your wooden chute be able to dispense ore into a hopper? Even if it was just a manual feature, that would be really cool.

Greg

It could as the gate does slide up and down but there is nothing behind it, but it does set up for some photo ideas later on...just need to find the right figure to be hanging on the ladder and pulling the chain.

Everyone thanks for the kind comments...up next is the Keystone locomotive bandsaw mill:)

Back