Recommend me a DCC starter set

I just noticed another difference between the prodigy express and the zephyr.

the prodigy express allows up to 20 cabs (throttles) to be used. While it does not support use of DC locos. However, the express is handheld, and with the purchase of an advance2 you get all the features of the above. further, you can add boosters as needed without much headache.

What functions would you consider must haves? I don't want to end up getting a kit that is so basic I've outgrown right away. At the same time, I don't wanna drop a huge amount of money on something over the top yet.

Here are the main differences between the advance and express:
functions avail for express: 16, advance2/wireless: 28
consisting avail for express: advanced only; advance: universal and advanced
throttle capacity: express: 32 ; advance:99
amperage: express: 2.5 ;advance 3.5
fast clock and routing only available on advance.
They both have the following: 2 or 4 digit addressing, program cv's on the main, program all cv's, program on the main or program track, and upgradeable to future NMRA protocols.

http://www.modelrectifier.com/train-controls/dcc-prodigy.asp

IIRC all prodigy expresses are still 1.6amps and not 2.5. I'm pretty sure it's just the Zephyr that is 2.5 as a 'starter' system. No worries though, MRC boosters are inexpensive and easy to obtain if necessary.

Regardless, I have no idea how to add other functions to loco decoders, let alone use 'em yet, haha

If you'll talk to Frank and the others on yahoo group MRC-DCC, they'll tell you how to get the upgrade fro the express, I believe its free, to 2.5 amp.

As for other functions to engines, ditch lights are a seperate function, any sounds are seperate functions and controllable.

Just mention to them about using a 520 auto reverser unit on the express and they'll tell you how to get it done.:cool:

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I went to a local model railraod show and picked up a NCE Power Cab System.

After thinking about it, I relized I didn't need to start really big, just a quality starter set. I think I got it for a good price, $159.

I'm going to start simple with a 4ish x 8ish bench untill we move into the new house in about 6-7 months.

Looks like my return to the hobby has started.... There goes the pocket book. :D

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I went to a local model railraod show and picked up a NCE Power Cab System.
:D

Congratulations. I think your going to really like the Power Cab. I sure like mine. NCE offers a lot for the money, and you can upgrade according to your future needs.

Jerry

and you can upgrade according to your future needs.

Thats one of the things that drew me in. The fact I was able to upgrade without having to toss out everything I already had. I'm really excited about my new setup. I can't wait to start laying track.

Back