reasonably priced ho cranes for railyards that are remote controlled.

jfb

who makes these and how much? I would love to have one but 5 to 750 is steep is there another solution that is close?:confused:

who makes these and how much? I would love to have one but 5 to 750 is steep is there another solution that is close?:confused:

Santa Fe has a gantry crane at it's Vernon (CA) Team Track. Asked a guy about making one & it would cost $1000-3000 for a brass one depending on if it operates or not. Have seen a much smaller plastic one made by Walthers.

ATSF VERNON TEAM CRANE.jpg
ATSF VERNON TEAM USGS MAP.jpg

I don't know of one, but I replied to this thread because if there is such a thing I want to know!

Bernd, who is an avid R/C guy who is active on several forums (sadly, not this one) built an operational R/C controlled crane out of an Athearn kit. You can check it out by clicking here. The kit itself is fairly cheap, but having the fabrication skill of Bernd is another story, of course. I thought this might be inspirational, however.

P.S: If you watch the video he posted in that thread you can see the crane in operation at about 6:29 . Awesome!

That is very cool Stoker! Thanks for posting it.

hit a model train swap meet a few times I found a crane for get this 50 cents and I can motorize it in the future. I am a believer in brains over dollars and I truly was lucky with this one my whole layout maybe over 12 years has costed me about 1200 dollars this was pure luck though I have never seen one there ever.

jfb
What kind of crane was it? Looking for a gantry crane that ran on rails like the one in my pix above.

it is a faller crane for box trailers and I also have a hook crane for other purposes. I can motorize this with a faller motor and model railroad swap meets are very helpful for finding tough parts.

Container Crane.

Santa Fe has a gantry crane at it's Vernon (CA) Team Track. Asked a guy about making one & it would cost $1000-3000 for a brass one depending on if it operates or not. Have seen a much smaller plastic one made by Walthers.

View attachment 45737
View attachment 45738

I am very interested in purchasing a container crane. Would someone inbox me with what you have available and the cost. After seeing a functional prototype, I am more than willing to pre-pay for the construction.

Hi DocCuzi: I recently bumbled across several overhead cranes on the MBKlein website: modeltrainstuff.com. Look under structures>ho structure kits>manufacturer. You will easily find kits by Ratio, Vollmer, and Kibri for $27 - 35. There is also a
wheeled container carrier. Not sure if that's what you are seeking, but the prices sure look better than the brass custom-built option.

Hope this is helpful,

Jimw

P.S. Today I looked at the Factory Direct Trains sale: they have the Walthers crane for $20.

Jimw

Factory Direct was my main supplier in my "binge buying" phase. Joe is a good guy, I got great customer service on top of excellent prices!

Back