Really Novice Question--My apologies in Advance!

As for being able to purchase things, I (along with a lot of people) use M. B. Klein (www.modeltrainstuff.com) for our purchases. They are very very good, have a large inventory and the lowest prices around.

This. Their people are also ALL train nerds like us who have been modeling this stuff for years.

Their physical store is about 1 mile from my house so I can personally attest to how knowledgeable and helpful their staff is.

On that note, I can also attest that your local hobby shop closing down isn't the worst thing. Living 1 mile from one of the best model train stores in the country.....it gets a tad expensive. Especially when you see something on their website and instantly know "I don't have to wait 5 days for shipping! AWESOME!!!"

It will test even the strongest will power.

Thanks guys. Prudence is winning out here. I think I'm going to just expand the Marklin track (for now). Amazon has a smoking deal on an expansion set. If my son continues the interest at all, the Marklin will become the "fun" set and we'll move over with gusto to Peco. Kind of want him to make the opt in decision that this is super cool rather than me forcing it upon him.

Jake

Marklin makes a very good product-only thing is that if you are located in the USA, and/or want to model USA railroads, there aren't too many 'local hobby shops,' "LHS" that carry much of the Marklin product line. Marklin trains run on AC-most manufacturers make DC or DCC products. Marklin does make a line called Trix, which are DC or DCC based products.

As for Marklin track, it pretty much is only good with Marklin models, or other compatible European manufacturer's equipment. There have been several iterations of more prototypical track from Marklin over the years, but they call involve a center stud system, (similar to O gauge's center 3rd rail). While the gauge is the same (space between the rails) is the same, DC equipment won't run on track intended for AC pick up, and vice versa.

In years past, many people started with a set of Lionel or American Flyer trains, as kids, with the help of Dad, mostly. Depending upon the child's interest, as well as the budget for trains, many people switched to HO, as they got older, as the trains were more realistic, and took up less space. Lionel or American Flyer had the advantage of being larger, and being able to take the beating that a young boy or girl could dish out, without knowing any better. I know when I got my first HO set, I almost immediately had a problem with the couplers breaking, compared to the Lionel set I had just given up. My parents made the switch to HO for me, after about 3 years of playing with the Lionel trains. At that point, that way, they didn't sink a lot of money into tracks, transformers, and equipment, that wasn't compatible, with the new HO stuff.

Good luck!

Ohhhhh!! Now you've gone and done it :eek::p. Just had a look at these on youtube. Sounds with remote control, Ahhhh!!!

For those not familiar
[YOUTUBE]Nq503XjFTFg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]LE4Zg7hkHDA[/YOUTUBE]

Looks like fantastic stuff stuff to get a young fellow hooked on model trains and all the fun.

As they have the batteries in the locos themselves and insulated plastic wheels and run on HO scale track, independently of that, this means that should the "BUG" bite you as well, and you want to delve into the adult side of the hobby yourself, there will be no problem running these on a powered track layout (DC or DCC).

BUT, if you're thinking that you'll get away without all the Bells and Whistles (literally), I think you'll have a fight on your hands. :rolleyes:

I agree with King Toot! This Marklin set is fantastic!

HO compatibility is not important in my opinion. You buy any boy new to trains this set and I can't see how they won't love it! This set is a great investment in developing the love of trains in a youngster!!! Who knows what scale a modeler will end up in? The only thing that matters is getting started, not where you end up.

I am glad you found an expansion set, there will be even more fun in your home soon.

Thank you very much for sharing your hobby with us, I have learned so much from reading this thread. I knew almost nothing about Marklin before this thread and now I want a set!

Don't be a stranger, keep us posted.

Enjoy the Holiday Season

Jake, Welcome to the forum. Your set up sounds like great fun for your son. The nice part is it's HO so even if the track is not what you end up with down the road, buildings and accessories are always compatible. You can start a layout and leave room for more American style DC track while running your current trains. No reason you can't run them independently, side by side if you so choose. The big thing is for both of you to HAVE FUN!

G'day Jake , First up ...Great to have you on board....Second...You've made a very clever start by joining this superb Forum..THIS IS THE BEST...Already posted by my fellow modellers is an abundance of great advice. On further reading advice , I'll add this.....MODEL RAILROADER MAGAZINE....This publication is both fun and informative and very affordable...I think it's under $6 per month in the USA...costs me $8.95 here in Australia...Worth every cent and more.
I bought my first copy in March 2010 and have every single issue since ...wouldn't miss it...As suggested above , definitely have a look at a NMRA starter set and you'll not regret doing that.. If you go with Bachmann , have a look at the fantastic "My First Railroad Track Pack "..This kit will allow you to build the Madison Central Layout . The Track Pack comes complete to do this and it also comes with an instructional DVD made by Model Railroader Magazine that shows how to build the benchwork , track , scenery , structures , track power and much more all for about $120-130...Truly worth a look....Once again , great to have you with us and ENJOY....Cheers Rod..

Back