reality

choo choo

See you at the Depot
Is your layout of a spicific time and place route or is of a general location with a route that you have made to fit the space you have not a layout to fit the space

I'm actually in between layouts, but the next layout will be an HO scale model of the Bottineau Farmers Elevator complex in Bottineau, North Dakota in the summer of 1991. I'll build it in a shelf style to Freemo standards so it can be connected with other Freemo modules. In my case, I'm just interested in modeling a grain elevator complex instead of an entire branch line or a division of a railroad, so there's no provision for continuous running or anything more than simple switching moves. But, it will fit in a relatively small space (2.5' x 16') without an inch of compressing the prototype, so my nitpicky side is certainly satisfied. Not only that, I'm able to focus on modeling 52 cars, one caboose and five locomotives which would keep the cost of collecting down if I had any discipline.

I'm modeling a couple blocks of the town I am living in in 1950. There si very little selective compression, but I will not say there is none.

The track that has been lid for the most part is for the most complete. Laying of track and switches have been secured, track consists of a outer loop in the shape of a long J with a t that serves as the top of the J so that it is longer than it is wide. There are four left hand switches that are on the short section of the j they are part of the yard. One the last of these switches make for a loop that serves as a branch line that meanders into a hillside cliff for easy hiding of cars. The scenery is based on the landscape of Lacrosse Wisconsin time frame for layout late 50's Have some house and building but am far from being complete part of the fun. Am at the point that the big decisions need to be made dcc or dcs I have MTH O'guage But back to the scenery it only depicts a time and era place but is only built on the images in my mind not on so specific route so all is subject to change as my mind see fit. Track size is 12’ by 16’ so I have some space to play with but not all that much when it come to putting in street light s a small park and all that makes for a nice layout what is the best wy to put pics and such on this site thanks for the help

Jerry

I'll build it in a shelf style to Freemo standards so it can be connected with other Freemo modules. .

Are you involved with the Denton group? I've been reading their website and considering putting a module together.

Whew, I head to read that over a few times.

Both for me.

1. I model Cajon Pass, though obviously its size requires compression.

2. I have a small switching layout that I'm building thats 100% freelance, yet inspired by California.

Since I model the steel industry in HO, I have no choice but to compress. A typical steel mill complex covers a square mile, which means I'd need an area 62' by 62' for the mill alone! Luckily for me, the visually-interesting, rail-centered operations can be squeezed into an area the size of a bedroom.

My HO layout, or to put it more properly the one I've been planning and am now starting to work on more intently, the 'C & S West-Short Line RR', is for all intent purposes is freelanced vision of what may have been in and around the turn of the 1900's with no particular location modeled precisley. I really enjoy all trains but I'm fondest of the early small locomotives and the trussrod cars and equipment of that early time period. I also fell in love with
the secnery of Colorado on the D&RGW Narrow Gauge as well as the RGS & C&S so I'm trying to merge these various aspects into my mainly Std Gauge operation with the possibility of the use of a little gem of an 0-6-0T RGS loco I have but I haven't yet got all the track work designed so time will tell.
I intend on basing my layout on operation and planning to incorporate these areas; Freight, Passenger, Logging and Mining of Coal, Silver/Gold & Copper.
Now the question becomes will I have the realestate to to fit it all in in a believeable way?? My origional track plan was fit into a 10'x10' area and now I'm expanding that area to a 10' x 21' area and want to not only have higher mountains with Pines and Red Woods for the Logging operations, two possibly,
but also some lower elevations of foothills with Oak trees and grasses. The other thing I'm trying to accomplish on my 30" shelf layout is as little as possible of straight track for too long a distance, of course even 21' isn't all that long of a distance but more than enough for me! Also my layout will be built on three different level which are all inter connected by 6% grades. The main elevation will be at a height of 45 3/8" the mountain town elevations are about 54" and the Logging areas will be about 62" from the floor, so when I pull a string of 10 cars up the mountain I actually need to double head to acheive the pull.

Ridgecrest_at_Horsemeadows_Station_Reszd

Last edited by a moderator:
Am living in St. Cloud MN, my wifes parents live in La Crosse (for the last couple of years they have extended family there.) Every time that we are visiting we talk about visting shops that carry train supplies we should be down around christtmas time. The entire family is into RR way back to Pams GP.
Some of the track and rolling stock is wind up tin plate not played with any more, since my boys were little all other is Lionel, o-27 Atlas, and MTH O' guage. Looking to see you when we visit.

Mr. Choo Choo

Am living in St. Cloud MN, my wifes parents live in La Crosse (for the last couple of years they have extended family there.) Every time that we are visiting we talk about visting shops that carry train supplies we should be down around christtmas time. The entire family is into RR way back to Pams GP.
Some of the track and rolling stock is wind up tin plate not played with any more, since my boys were little all other is Lionel, o-27 Atlas, and MTH O' guage. Looking to see you when we visit.

Mr. Choo Choo

Currently I have a shelf switching layout with DCC but all freelance or rather it is just a fiddle yard.

I am planing and have been planning on my big layout of Soldiers Summit route in Utah, the line is now owned by UP. This will allow me to have some SP, DRGW, UB, and others on this line. I love the grades etc and scenery. UB use to be an all Alco rr back in the day but now they upgraded. I will use a little modelers license as well for my added taste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldier_Summit,_Utah

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a hobby shop called ABC Hobbies on the north side. It's a block east of the Burlington steam display in Copeland park. They carry N, Ho and very little O scale. There is a decent amount of modeling supplies as well. They also carry supplies for R/C cars and planes. It's the only shop that I know of around here.

Back