Re-introduction...

Góðan daginn,

My name is Rene.
After more than 10 years inactive here and in modeling, I recovered my log in today again.
Last year I moved from the Netherlands to Iceland and I think I can say that I might be the loneliest modeler around here....as far as I know there are NO modeltrain modelers (in HO or any scale) in the whole country!

I still model the Southern Pacific and still the SD 9 is my favorite engine.
3 years ago I picked up modeling again and have set up two of my Fremo modules in my current house. That's from being a member of a huge club to bedroom modeling, all the more time to really finish the smal lay out now.
Happy to browse around again and join you guys here.

Regards,

Rene

Attachments

• IMG_7132-edited_1.JPG
    IMG_7132-edited_1.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 111
Góðan daginn,

My name is Rene.
After more than 10 years inactive here and in modeling, I recovered my log in today again.
Last year I moved from the Netherlands to Iceland and I think I can say that I might be the loneliest modeler around here....as far as I know there are NO modeltrain modelers (in HO or any scale) in the whole country!

I still model the Southern Pacific and still the SD 9 is my favorite engine.
3 years ago I picked up modeling again and have set up two of my Fremo modules in my current house. That's from being a member of a huge club to bedroom modeling, all the more time to really finish the smal lay out now.
Happy to browse around again and join you guys here.

Regards,

Rene
Welcome back!

Welcome back, love the photo! Even though I live on the East coast, SP has always been special to me. When I first joined the Navy, I was briefly stationed in San Diego and drove out a few times to watch trains at Tehacheppi Loop. During my teenage years, long before the internet and Youtube existed, I listened to the Mister D's Machine record with sounds of Southern Pacific SD9's thundering over the Loop. I wore that record down having the turntable on repeat-play so the train sounds would help me fall asleep.

Welcome back, love the photo! Even though I live on the East coast, SP has always been special to me. When I first joined the Navy, I was briefly stationed in San Diego and drove out a few times to watch trains at Tehacheppi Loop. During my teenage years, long before the internet and Youtube existed, I listened to the Mister D's Machine record with sounds of Southern Pacific SD9's thundering over the Loop. I wore that record down having the turntable on repeat-play so the train sounds would help me fall asleep.
Thanks, just listened to Mr D's sound recordings on Youtube. Awesome! Do you know if there are more SD9 recordings on the web?

Rene, I really don't know of any other high-quality recordings of SD9's that are available online. I recorded a few of them myself at Tehachappi using a cheap cassette recorder, those are long gone. Have you tried Googling Youtube train videos? There might be a few with SD9's in them, but probably not - since they were all but extinct when digital videography became available to "the masses" in the early 1990's.

Rene, I really don't know of any other high-quality recordings of SD9's that are available online. I recorded a few of them myself at Tehachappi using a cheap cassette recorder, those are long gone. Have you tried Googling Youtube train videos? There might be a few with SD9's in them, but probably not - since they were all but extinct when digital videography became available to "the masses" in the early 1990's.
Yeas, I tried to find some, but I didn't find much. I was thinking about asking someone with a sound decoder equipped SD9 to record something. I don't know if you can do that digitally, as in having the sound over a stereo set or something .

Recording a 1:87 scale SD9 with a tiny internal speaker would produce disappointing results, since you wouldn't hear any of the lower-frequency sounds that make you feel like you're standing near a prototype loco.

However, the SD9 is powered by an EMD 567C prime mover, as are the GP9 and F9. And the earlier SD7 uses a 567B prime mover like GP7's and F7's do. In other words, they all sound pretty much the same. ESU's sound decoders are classified by the prime mover, not the loco model - so you can install an ESU Loksound decoder with EMD 567 sounds on it in an HO scale SD7/SD9, GP7/GP9, or F7/F9.

Back