Rbox 36081

Airslide

The Flange Squeal
so thanks to rotor i now have an airbrush. while I am anxious to use my new toy, I am a little hesitant as I dont want to mess this up.

my first 'airbrush' weathering project is this RBOX car. but at this point I am unsure how to proceed.

I have weathering chalks and a pretty good idea on how to get the soot, grime and rust on. but i am wondering if i should mist the body first with some diluted white or gray. if so, are acrylics ok?

thoughts, opinions, suggestions are welcomed (spare no details) -

the prototype:
100_2268.JPG

the current state of things
S6300018.png

If'n it were my car I would shoot it with a very diluted light yellow.Spray just enough on to fade the factory finish.

Try to use the same shade (or close to it) that the car is painted now,just make it very thin and possibly add some white to it.The idea is to show sun fade.Let each light coat dry completely before you do another.

Once the car is faded to your satisfaction then start rusting it up.

I agree with Johnathan. The best way to fade cars is to use a very thin overspray of the original car color. Very thin is the operative word. If you can't tell much difference in the first pass, you've got the mixture about right. I'd also recommend that you take of the door and do those separately. They will need very light coats of gray to weather properly and you don't want that on your car.

unfortunately, the door doesnt come off (or open) on this one:confused: . As for diluting paint, are acrylics ok?

acrylics are fine,with all the colors available you should have no problem finding a colour close to or even dead on.

I would not look for a perfect match,but instead look for a lighter yellow then put a few drops of white in it to lighten it just a little more.

As for the door, just mask it off so the yellow doesn't get on it,then reverse the mask when you do the door by covering the whole car to keep the grey away from your now faded yellow.

Don't blame me...:D

I'm not a big fan of acrylics myself. I prefer the old school solvent based laquers and enamels. The acrylics just don't seem to spray as nice, or adhere as well as the solvent based paints. JMHO

There are lots of folks that use water based paints, and are happy with them.

There are tons of different weathering techniques out there, and most give pretty good results. The ones mentioned above are a good place to start.

Try a couple different ones on some of the "Junk r Us" cars first. ;)

Rotor

Back