Railfanning around ATL?

kylewoody

Hey guys,

I got my friend coming up next weekend, and was wondering - are there any good hotspots around Atlanta, Georgia? I live in Douglasville (right outside of ATL) and I know there's a east/west Norfolk Southern line. Just didn't know if someone was from around here.

I guess too, someone might know where to say "stay out!"... unless you want to get shot... lol.

Thanks,
Kyle

Kyle,

Austell, Ga is a great place. I took this photo on New Years day there;

showPicture.aspx

You can stand on this overpass, or there is a public parking area nearby.

NS through Austell is very busy. The NS line is double track from Atlanta to Austell and splits there, with one line continuing to Chattanooga, and the other to Birmingham, and points south. NS also has a large intermodal yard in Austell.

There are more places in Atlanta, but I don't live there and can't give you directions. There is a overpass near NS Innman yard thats pretty good and a parking lot for King Plow, which is an art museum (I think) where you can get some shots, but I enjoyed Austell. It was not as industrial and I did'nt feel like I had to watch my back.

Todd Templeton

Awesome Todd, thanks! That's just a couple minutes away from where I live. My buddy and I also went up to that NS intermodal yard a few miles north (he applied for a job there).

Kyle

Back