R.R. crossing crossbucks

has anyone tryed to make there own ? I am looking for some help with making my own. they would be HO scale. mainly looking for how to print out the words railroad crossing .

Thanks
Ron

microscale makes decals for crossbucks..one sheet I know that has them is 87-275..microscale is currently out of stock of that set, but I can guarentee they will have it again, and I don't doubt that its on another sheet as well.

has anyone tryed to make there own ? I am looking for some help with making my own. they would be HO scale. mainly looking for how to print out the words railroad crossing .

Thanks
Ron

I had a sign company make me a large RR crossing buck for my front yard.
The 1st time they made it they forgot to make Rail-road 2 words & made Crossing in to 2 words. I went to pick up the sign & the gal couldn't figure out why the sign didn't look right. So, she had to make it over for free. Not a happy camper.:D

Ron, you can always use small dry transfer letters. I made these in 1973 when I worked at Hughes. The only hard part was the vertical lettering on the post. I did it in larger dry transfer letters and reduced it on a Xerox copier. Then I cut the paper to fit the post. Over the years the letters have worn off a bit - just like the real ones outdoors. :)

Now it's even easier with Photoshop, MS Paint and a laser printer to get any font and size. The rest is just basswood painted white.

Chas.

Thanks
Ron

Have you seen these? They are made out of wood/laser cut and easy to assemble. They're made in Canada, but I can't remember who made them.

Try http://www.trafficsign.us/railsign.html. Copy the crossbuck into Word or Photoshop and resize it for HO. Print it out on cardstock paper, cut it out, and glue to a trimmed toothpick or plastic model sprue. Great looking crossbucks for almost nothing. The Trafffic Sign web site is a great source for almost any sign you'd ever need for a layout. You'll never need to buy another sign once you get the sizing right.

Resizing's always a pain. Rather than trying to predict what your editing program, your printer, and the small blue men who hide in the computer will do with it, print a few versions that you think should be close to right on plain paper, check them for size, and once you get it tolerably down, feed the printer your cardstock. :)

Thanks UP2, that'll come in handy. :)

Back