Questions regarding Walthers Double Crossover

bigB

Hello,

Ive searched on this forum and others for some concrete answers about this crossover.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/948-8812

I am trying to use this piece as a crossover between two double mainlines (4 tracks). I am hooking up tracks 2&3 together with tracks 1 & 4 being run-throughs.
_____________________________1
_____________________________2
____________X________________3
_____________________________4

My question is: Is the middle (diamond-shaped portion) of the crossover electrically isolated? Therefore, I dont need to gap the rails leading to either side of the crossover, do I? I have no reversing loops. I plan on having both sets of mainline powered by the same source but protected by separate circuit breakers (sub-districts). From my understanding, the frogs are all isolated, correct?

Thanks. Just looking for some straight answers.

I just found out that a Walthers Code 83 30 degree crossing is NOT severed at the frog area...all routes will get the same rail power as is fed at the one entrance. I had a short at my scissors type turning wye and couldn't figure out why. I finally cut the joiners (already soldered :rolleyes:) on opposite sides, meaning I cut the connectivity for one route through the crossing. I left the other pairs soldered and powered up the tracks...no short. So, you will have to reverse something...possibly. If you go to Allan Gartner's site on wiring for dcc, he has diagrams.

If tracks 2 and 3 have the same polarity, ie the inside rail of both tracks is positive or negative. Then you only have to throw all four points of the turnout together and you will not have a problem, ie all points must be set divergent or thru at the same time.

Are you limited for space to have to use one of these? Most prototypical mainlines only use these if they are limited for space. Otherwise they have dual crossovers, one after the other. __________
__/__\_____

Kinda crude, but Im sure you get the drift...

Last edited by a moderator:
Im kinda limited on space. I have 2 staging tracks at 0" elevation and then 4 main lines at 2" elevation. The two mains diverge later and this is the one point on the 48 ft loop (around the walls) where they interchange. I could also do the more traditional crossover, but this piece of track has always fascinated me.

I retract my earlier comment about the Walthers 30 degree crossover and I apologize for my statement. Upon further investigation and fiddling, it turns out that the appliance is indeed a power-routing crossing that isolates each route. If you only power the ends of two segments of tracks entering the appliance, and have two continuations on the other side connected to the crossing, you will find power on the other side if you meter. It turns out that I had reversed a pair of feeders leading to the Peco turnout that is the origin of the two routes to my crossing. So, all is good with the world.

I was able to find one at my LHS for $63, but it's all moot now as Ive decided to do a traditional double crossover arrangement. I never purchased the Walthers product.

Doing it this way takes up 46" of room, but I think in the end it'll be more reliable and realistic. Putting 3" straights between #6 turnouts will make the spacing satisfactory too.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Brad

Back