Questions on a Santa Fe F units build

ThoroughBreed

Dcc~detail~diesel freak
I have been aquiring some athearn blue box F unit shells, both single and double headlight versions, and need to know a few things about building one of the blue-bonnets and a yellow bonnet:

What colors are needed for:
Blue bonnet?
Yellow bonnet?

Which colors do I need to lay down first?

Which decals are needed? I think I need the following:
Microscale 87-77,87-1188, and 87-101. Please advise me if these are correct.

Also, which horns are needed? Any detail kits available?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanx, Eric

I have been aquiring some athearn blue box F unit shells, both single and double headlight versions, and need to know a few things about building one of the blue-bonnets and a yellow bonnet:

What colors are needed for:
Blue bonnet?
Yellow bonnet?

Which colors do I need to lay down first?

Which decals are needed? I think I need the following:
Microscale 87-77,87-1188, and 87-101. Please advise me if these are correct.

Also, which horns are needed? Any detail kits available?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanx, Eric
The horns depend on the exact unit you wish to model. #315L had a Leslie 5 Chime S5TR horn and mount on the engineer’s side. Are you doing a Freight with the black pilot or a passenger with the silver. Yes Microscale Decals 87-77 for the yellow bonnet. I would highly recommend looking up some photos of the exact unit you wish to model as I don't think any two were identical.

http://abpr.railfan.net/june98/06-14-98/sf235-2.jpg
I think most of the blue bonnets retained their single horn honkers.

Also if you are going to go to all this trouble, I would start by filling in the gaping wholes that Athearn calls windshields and cut them back out to a proper size. A Highliner or Intermountain body shell would be a much better starting point.

Unfortunately that is all I can say, my book that has all this information is not currently in the same location as I am.

As a general painting rule, always apply the lightest color first, (after primer) working to darkest. The dark will cover the light but not always the other way around.

I'm looking at the following locos:

So, what are the detail parts I'll need? Does walthers have a F7 detail kit?
Yes Walther's has a detail kit but it only has window glass, standard hand rails and the like.

From these pictures I see. Nose tow rings, windshield wipers, MU hoses, spark arrestors, coupler lift bar, mars light in the upper housing, hand grabs up the right side of the nose, rear view mirror. Can't see the horns on the yellow one. The blue one looks like a short Leslie 3.

Back