Questions for the Denver/Colorado Modelers

fiend540

Well it's been a couple weeks since I have posted on the forum as I have been incredibly busy with everyday life crap but as of yesterday the wife and I have finally finished our move from Syracuse NY to Denver. I'm looking for advice on things to do, places to see both railroad related as well as non railroad related things. We went to Caboose Hobbies today and all I can say is :eek: WOW lol, a modeler could spend a lot of cash in a short time there if the wife lets them off their leash lol. I am also Interested in good spots to railfan, I like heavy industries and freight cars for the most part, Locos are ok but modern day GE's aren't really my cup of tea.

Also, and this might be a long shot, but the wife and I love to go to auto races, specifically dirt oval racing but any racing is cool in my book. I think we are going to head out to I76 speedway on saturday (7/9), but I am looking for any other suggestions of speedways to check out it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!

Forney Transportation Museum (I-70 & Brighton Blvd, just north of downtown) has a UP Big Boy and a bunch of passenger cars, and there's the Colorado Railroad Museum out in Golden. Both have operating scale model railroads as well (Colorado Railroad Museum has an HO layout and Forney has an N-scale layout). There are other scale model railroads open to the public in Union Station (O-scale and HO) and one in Greeley has the Greeley Freight Station Museum (http://www.gfsm.org/pcindex.html) which has a very large HO layout.

Railfanning - there are a lot of nice locations in and around Denver, but I don't do a lot so I'll let others chime in on this.

Racing - You found I76 Speedway, there is also Colorado Speedway up north on I70, and another roundy-round south outside of Pueblo. I prefer to turn left and right in my racing - both NASA and SCCA are the major sanctioning bodies in Colorado (there is the BMWCCA and PCA as well), and both hold amateur events nearly every month from March to October at the 3 race courses in Colorado (High Plains Raceway outside of Byers east of Denver on I70, Pike's Peak International Raceway south of Colorado springs at exit 121 on I25, and Pueblo Motorsports Park west of Pueblo by about 10 mile off exit 101 on I25). They will also venture to Miller outside of SLC Utah and Hastings.

There are large, dirt motorcycle tracks for racing north on I70 and west in Lakewood (just south of I25 and off C470).

Hope this helps.

What part of Denver are you in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very helpful, I too love racing with both left and right turns but as a spectator only for now oval tracks have been filling my needs for awhile. We're hoping to get to cali later this year to see ALMS at Laguna Seca if we can find the extra money.

Any other hobby shops I should check out?

Mizell Trains (http://www.mizelltrains.com/) at 72nd and Federal is the only other hobby shop that focuses primarily on model railroading in the Denver Metro area.

I'd love to go to Laguna Seca (I can't bring myself to call it Mazda Raceway). I'm heading to Mid-Ohio in August to crew for a World Challenge GT-3 Cup Car and catch some ALMS. Really looking forward to it.

Mizell Trains (http://www.mizelltrains.com/) at 72nd and Federal is the only other hobby shop that focuses primarily on model railroading in the Denver Metro area.

I'd love to go to Laguna Seca (I can't bring myself to call it Mazda Raceway). I'm heading to Mid-Ohio in August to crew for a World Challenge GT-3 Cup Car and catch some ALMS. Really looking forward to it.

Cool, and I agree with the name issue, just because you get a new track sponsor doesn't mean you can ditch your heritage. Have fun at Mid-Ohio, it's a shame the prototype class is a little lack luster but atleast you will hear that aston v12, and the gt battle is world class!

I remember you mentioning moving here. A lot of people from the northeast are moving here lately.

Definitely check out Union Station downtown. There are two major yards, one is downtown near Coors Field (BNSF) and the other one is on the northwest corner of I-25 and I-70.

Another cool place to see trains is the Big 10 loop. It's near coal creek canyon.
http://www.daeunert.com/Colorado/html/denver-plainview.html

And Caboose hobbies is dangerous for me. LOL

Have to go where the work is I suppose, although this was a planned transfer within the wife's company and we chose Denver over places like Orlando, NJ and Fort Worth. We are liking Denver so far, the sun is so damn bright lol now if only our furniture would show up! Thanks for the railfaining spots, you guys know of any Colorado/Western railroad forums I should check out? I forgot to mention, our apartment is in Englewood, but for now we are living in a Hotel in Hylands Ranch.

Good thing you didn't choose Orlando, apparently you can get away with murder down there! LOL

I don't know of any Colorado specific railroad forums.

Do you have a layout, or are you moving your layout?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thing you didn't choose Orlando, apparently you can get away with murder down there! LOL

I don't know of any Colorado specific railroad forums.

Do you have a layout, or are you moving your layout?

Lol, yeah Florida was a big NO from us for many reasons but that certainly doesn't help. I was just about to build a layout and then we found out about the move and that was that. I am now planning a small shelf style switching layout in our spare bedroom and I hope to get started on it within the next month or so. I need a place to run all those locos and cars I have acquired over the past 2 years :D Era is late 80's through early 90's, Mainly a Conrail theme but generic enough that I can run other roads that I like as well as my own fictional shortline.

How about yourself?

It would be a sin to live in Colorado, and not model the D&RGW. So you need to get at least some of that equipment on your layout.

Myself, I model of course the D&RGW, UP, BNSF 1989-Present. Downtown Denver, the Moffat line in the mountains, and the eastern farmlands.

My layout is 12' x 15', and also a 9'x9' extension room that I just finished the benchwork.

Here are some photos for ya...

Denver Union Station
P1000272_1.jpg

IMG_0017.JPG

Moffat Tunnel Line
IMG_0658.JPG

P1000305.jpg

P1000084.JPG

P1000106_1.JPG

BNSF North Yard Downtown (near Coors Field)
P1000040.JPG

Farmlands
P1000385_1.jpg

Back