Question on modern rebuilds (gp38-3)

fiend540

Can anyone tell me the specifics of what a gp38-3 is? I can't seem to find any solid info but are these just rebuilt/detuned gp40s? I would also like any info pertaining to other modern rebuilds like NS's SD40e's, CSX SD50-2's, GP40-3's. Thanks in advance guys.

The term GP38-3 is really unofficial and the work done to the locomotives varied a lot, depending on the rebuilder. Generally, the engines were GP38-2's with upgraded electrical wiring and modern solid state controls. There were no external changes made. Other GP38-3's have used everything from GP-35's to GP-50's. Some had engines derated to 2,000 horsepower, with turbochargers removed, and were extensively rebuilt, with new cabs, air conditioning, and larger fuel tanks. You really need to know exactly which road's GP-38-3's you're asking about since there was a wide range of changes made. GP-40's were rarely used as the basis for a GP38-3, however.

There's information about the SD40-e's, which were rebuilds from SD-50's, at http://www.altoonaworks.info/rebuilds/ns_sd40e.html. The CSX GP50-2's were just standard GP-50's derated to 3000 horsepower with no external changes. They are used mostly in MOW service. The GP40-3 is also a generic term for locomotives rebuilt by several companies, including Helms Leasing and Conrail's Juniata shops. Most were simply original GP-40's, derated to 2,000 horsepower with the removal of the turbocharger, with some upgrading to the wiring and control systems. Some also got upgraded cabs, with air conditioners and new control stands. They were not upgraded to GP40-2 standards internally. Most had few, if any external changes.

Thanks Jim, I forgot about that altoona works site, a lot of good information there. I'm not really following one prototype railroad but If I had to lean one way it would be towards NS I guess only because they run all the major ex-conrail shops and I figure alot of their rebuilds would be thins Conrail would do.

My real goal is to provide some variety to my layout, since it is a switching shelf style layout most of my motive power will be your typical geeps, but I want to add some of the newer rebuilds to spice it up. You can only have so many gp38-2s right? :) As of right now I am just trying to see what is out there that I can bastardize into Conrail colors, I already am planning on a road slug/mother combo and the dash 3 locos have me intrigued.

The Altoona GP-50 rebuilds would be a good starting point if you want to add some variety. There were probably more external changes to the SD40-e than most rebuilds.

The Altoona GP-50 rebuilds would be a good starting point if you want to add some variety. There were probably more external changes to the SD40-e than most rebuilds.

Heh, only problem is Conrail never owned any gp50's, but I guess if I am pretending they still exist then I can pretend they acquired some second hand from someone I suppose.

I'm probably over my head currently for most of the rebuilds/locos I want to have. I've never kitbashed anything railroad related and while I did my fair share of mix and match with model cars as a kid, I don't think my skills are nearly up to snuff. Oh well I guess I will just start with detailing one of my current locos, then maybe move on to adding a cannon cab or something.

Back