question on hand laid turnouts

fcsflyboy

student pilot
Hello all, I am looking for anyone who make jigs for hand laying your turnouts. I'm looking for #7 and greater, I found a company called fast tracks, however I just can't afford 200 bucks for a jig. are there any other companies that provide options?

Last edited by a moderator:
That and you can download/print free turnout templates from Fast Tracks. Central Valley Model Works also has turnout kits and switch ties for DIYers.

I built all of my turn-outs on a printed copy of the Fast-Tracks templates. It takes a little longer to build and you need to play more attention to getting the rails in correctly but all the turn-outs work perfectly. I even built some dual-gauge turn-outs on the paper templates.
I did buy the Fast Tracks 'Point and Frog' tool (#5) to file the rail angles since these are a bit difficult to file correctly.
See my layout thread for some pictures.

One thing I would recommend is that you get a copy of Paul Mallery's book, "Trackwork Handbook for Model Railroaders". Its published by Cartsen's. These are the fine folks from RMC. While its currently out of print, Its can be had via Amazon, etc.
It explains the how, where, and whys of what turnout type is to be used in any situation. As a reference, its the perfect companion to John Armstrong's trackplanning book. It shows you how to lay out a turnout using just a ruler and drawing just 2 lines. There are many, many illustrations along with his written word that helps to explain his easy and straight forward method of building a turnout.

While I have been handlaying turnouts since I was 12, (I'm going to be 60 in 2 months),and have tried many methods, I have found his to be the easiest and best for me. If you haven't tried to build one on your own, IMHO, you're selling yourself short. Using his method, I can lay out a turnout, and build it in less than an hour.

What I feel is the best thing, is his method allows you to build any turnout for any situation you may come across. It works on curved, straight, stud, crossovers, (both single and double) 3-ways, odd numbered, etc. Since you don't need an expensive jig, your turnouts can cost you as little as $3.50! Use of commercial ties, would probably raise this to $5.00.

Yup. We don't need no stinkin' jigs.

By the way, our copy of Paul Mallery's book is signed by the author.

IMG_3450.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Back