Question on B&O station colors

Jim 68cuda

As many of you know, I dismantled and moved my HO train layout, moving it out of an attic storage room and into a bedroom. The layout will be doubled in size as small tunnels will be bored through the wall into a second bedroom. The layout is a long way from being operational, but all my structures are already built and painted for the expansion. All except an Atlas passenger station which is molded in dark red with white and green trim.
I want to build this station to serve my B&O passenger train and it will be in a very prominant location on the layout. All the photos of B&O stations I can find on line are either brick structures, or the photos are in black and white. What color would a passenger station have been if it were a wooden structure serving the B&O railroad in the 50's?

B&O's primary colors are either yellow siding with brown trim or a light blue/grey color with white trim. Many stations still exist in both colors, although the yellow with brown trim would be your best bet in my opinion to really "pop" out on the layout!

I did a search on B&O Paint Standards. On the cover from the B&O Historical Society magazine from March/April 2007, had a small passenger station model on the front. Now if those colors are correct, and there's no reason to believe they aren't, the scheme would be creme/light tan for the building, brown on windows, doors, and trim. The roof on this particular model was black tarpaper.

As fcsflyboy said the sides could be a yellow, but it's a very dull yellow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the quick responses. I have some light "ivory" spray paint that I think will do for a cream color. Brown is easy enough for the windows and doors. Could I also use a tan color for another trim color? This particular kit seems well suited for having a primary and secondary color in addition to a trim color. Or could I make the structure cream and brown and have white trim (windows and doors)?

I used Testors Gloss Wood and Gloss Brown spray paint and then sprayed a flat dull kote over it. I hope the colors are close enough. I decided against using the light ivory yellow (cream) color paint. The Ivory paint color would have been close to the color of the Falcon wagon parked next to the station. I'll add details when the layout is operational and its time to start working on scenery.

That looks like one of the structures designed by Francis Baldwin - is it based on an actual prototype? Sorta reminds me of the Laurel, MD depot.

That looks like one of the structures designed by Francis Baldwin - is it based on an actual prototype? Sorta reminds me of the Laurel, MD depot.

No, its not based on any particular prototype. It is the HO scale Atlas Passenger Station kit, along with the matching Atlas Passenger Shelter kit (to allow added length to the passenger shelter). Its a kit that has been in pretty much constant production since the early 1960's. Its currently available both in kit form as well as a built up model. Its always been a nice kit, but its amazing how a little paint transforms the appearance so completely.

Next time I'm in Laurel, I'll look for the station.

Back