Question for those who would know

outlaw bill

In the movie Unstoppable, what type Loco did Denzel Washington use to run down the runaway train? I am still not familiar with Loco identification. Thank you.

I thank you Iron Horseman. I still have a lot to learn.
If you are interested, there were 3982 SD40-2s produced. That is more than any other locomotive (even more than the ubiquitous F7 units). They ruled the class one rails in the USA from the mid-1970s to the early 1990s when the GE dash 9s and SD70s became king. Many of them are still in service as yard goats or on short line railroads.

I enjoyed the movie until the part where the train rounded a curve and was tilted up so the wheels on one side came up off the rails. I hate it when I have to throw my brain out the window when watching a movie. My wife tells me to let my brain go dead when things get unrealistic, but I just can't!

I enjoyed the movie until the part where the train rounded a curve and was tilted up so the wheels on one side came up off the rails. I hate it when I have to throw my brain out the window when watching a movie. My wife tells me to let my brain go dead when things get unrealistic, but I just can't!
It's called suspension of disbelief. Hollyweird does this for greater dramatic effects, even though it defies logic! Westerns use it a LOT when the shooters fire dozens of rounds from six-shot revolvers...without reloading! Also when the pistolaros cock their single-action revolvers, don't shoot, and uncock the gun before sticking it back in their holster...with the firing pin down on a live round. (Most gun-packers carried the hammer down on an empty chamber for safety against an accidental discharge if the gun was dropped or the hammer spur struck a blow! To properly return the empty chamber under the hammer, one has to CAREFULLY decock, turn the cylinder four clicks, then pull the hammer to full cock and lower it. But that would detract from the flow of action in the movie!)

Not so unrealistic as you might think. Many years ago when the UP was testing their brand new M-10000 streamliner, the train was doing some high speed running and approaching a curve. The engineer told the suits aboard that they should slow for the curve. The suits told the engineer they would decide when the train needed slowing. The train rounded the curve and once through it a loud boom was heard. The sound of the inside wheels hitting the rail again. After that, the engineer was no longer challenged on speed judgements. (From Kratville's UP Streamliners book) It can happen!

Don't watch Atomic Train then. About 30 minutes in I had to turn it off because it was so ludicrous.

When flying over the Grand Canyon, I used to tell the passengers not to all try and look out the windows at the same time because we might "tip over".

When flying over the Grand Canyon, I used to tell the passengers not to all try and look out the windows at the same time because we might "tip over".

Sherrill, what years did you fly the Canyon? My hubby flew 25 summers at the big ditch; I flew only two, 2000 and 2001.
Diane

Don't watch Atomic Train then. About 30 minutes in I had to turn it off because it was so ludicrous.
Good movie for scenic reasons but OMG where to start on the "artistic license" LOL

I've actually seen a train leave the rails on one side, scary sight from inside the loco, but nowhere near as much as that curve scene. The rest of the movie was pretty good, but I (we) could have ended it many times over starting off with jumping on the second set of stairs and not running after the lead.

Sherrill, what years did you fly the Canyon? My hubby flew 25 summers at the big ditch; I flew only two, 2000 and 2001.
Diane
Diane, I was in a 707 0r 747 from 1980 - 1995, LAX to JFK mostly between 33 to 39000'. Not near the view that "hubby" had, however, in the late 60's I flew my Cherokee the entire length way below the rim. Most awesome!

I've actually seen a train leave the rails on one side, scary sight from inside the loco, but nowhere near as much as that curve scene. The rest of the movie was pretty good, but I (we) could have ended it many times over starting off with jumping on the second set of stairs and not running after the lead.
Or just having a crew member on the set of locos that they pulled out in front of the runaway and have him step over and open the nose door instead of trying to drop him in from a helicopter.

Back