question Bachmann EZCommand

Lildog Rail Way

Been a log time since I used this controller , when wired in and using analog mode will all normal DC MODE engine set and hum constantly with lights on ??
Thanks
Lildog

Been a log time since I used this controller , when wired in and using analog mode will all normal DC MODE engine set and hum constantly with lights on ??
Thanks
Lildog
Hi. I don't know about that unit but if constant idling and lights on is important to you it sounds like you'd be better served making an investment in DCC equipment. As far as I know DCC is better suited to those things.

I am by no means an expert so keep in mind this is just my opinion based on my own experiences in the hobby. Good Luck :)

If you have DC engines sitting on the tracks while using DCC, it will eventually damage the motors. Best to remove the DC only stuff when using DCC.

image.jpg

Not sure if you have the Dynamis…

Thanks
Lildog
The humming is caused by the commutator slightly moving due to the controller using a flat wave AC power to power a DC locomotive so it's alternating forwards/backwards extremely quickly, you're fine as long as the locomotive is moving, stationary it will cause damage to the motor, better to either use a DC controller, or fit a decoder to the locomotive, even a cheap one is better/safer/less expensive than running the locomotive on AC power even if the controller is in DC mode.

Some DCC systems will allow the owner to run DC locomotives on Add '00;. Digitrax, for one. However, as stated already by Smudge, The DCC power is AC current, meaning it switches positive to negative many times each second. This alternating current makes the motor want to go forward, then to back up, but many times each second for just a tiny fraction of a second. This makes the slack in the system 'knock', which at the high frequency sounds like groaning, squawking, squealing...take yer pick. Again, if the system says it will run s DC loco, then do RUN it...don't let it sit idle groaning and squealing for more than a couple of minutes or you'll eventually heat up the motor and smoke it.

Back