Question About Weathering

BNSF4723

Hi all say I remeber while back some here post some photos of there ho-Scale Rail Box,Box Car.Anhd they had weathered it with some type of Paint of etc.I d not know the member's name but what did you use to weather your Box Car.Also how would I weather my Ho-Scale Track even tho I had already attached to my Layout.Thanks.Please tell me what stuff too use to weather my stuff.Thanks

As for the track, I just sprayed it and the ties with dark brown acrylic paint using an airbrush. Some guys will suggest you lightly grease the rails so the paint doesn't stick. I just paint the rails and next day clean it off with a bright boy. It comes right off and leaves the track really clean.

Is this it?

If so...I started by using an eraser to fade out the lettering, followed that up with an India ink / water wash ( it was too dark though ). The rusting was made by using artist acrylics, dark rust was burnt umber, and the orange rust was something I mixed up using yellow ochre, vermillion red and a small dollop of burn't umber.

Keep in mind, this was my very first attempt, and I would go lighter with the wash and probably do the rust somewhat differently. The key is to learn from your mistakes. I still get compliments on it, even though I know I could do better.

Hope this helps,

Glenn

Glenn the compliments are well deserved, that box looks great! We can all do better the next time, enjoy the process, and lighten up on the self criticisim. Each new car in the sequence of weathering will get closer to what "we" want as we develop more techniques to reproduce the effects that we want.

Will

Thanks for the encouragement Will. I certainly enjoy the process, and the results do get better each time. The fun in this is learning what does and doesn't work. I am currently in the build phase of my layout, so I haven't painted in quite sometime. But rest assured, I will be back with a brush in my hand eventually, and I will post up the results.

Glenn

Back