Question about dcc and turnouts

Ok, so I am ordering a DCC system on monday and I am adding it to my existing layout. I am getting a bachmann ez-command system since I am getting it for a good price and my layout is not my permanent layout. I just want to know about turnouts. I have 3 lifelike snap switches on my layout and the rest are atlas custom line #4 turnouts. Will these pose a problem for a dcc system? Any information regarding turnouts would be appreciated because I am confused about why some have powered frogs and some don't? Also I have no reversing loops just as an afterthought!

Having about 8 months experience with N scale and switches....what I've learned about powered frogs is...they are needed for certain single short wheelbase locomotives or locomotives that have a limited amount of electrical pickups in the wheels. When the above described engines pass over a dead frog (no pun intended) they lose power and stop....so they need the entire switch length powered to get through it successfully.

There may be other reasons some modelers have for powered frogs.

On my non-powered dead-frog atlas code 80 snap switches my engines go through them with no problems because they have both trucks/all wheel pickup and I often use two engines at once which also helps since one engine always has full electrical contact at all times. But even my shortest single engines go through these switches just fine. My locos are all modern newer all wheel pickup designs.

Mike

I just want to know about turnouts. I have 3 lifelike snap switches on my layout and the rest are atlas custom line #4 turnouts. Will these pose a problem for a dcc system?
No, the whole DCC vs. turnouts issue was a mountain out of a mole hill deal. The main issue way back when was with old Shinohara brand and similar. The REAL issue was simply people were suddenly dropping feeder wires onto turnouts that had hot frogs where feeder wires had never been before. Sort of like operator error - no fault of the turnout. This would have been an issue with DC and a feeder in that spot too.

information regarding turnouts would be appreciated because I am confused about why some have powered frogs and some don't?
That has absolutely nothing to do with DCC. It is sort of like asking why some automobiles have front wheel drive while others have rear wheel drive. Some manufactures have just chosen one way or the other, or Peco lets the user pick which they want. Generally turnouts with insulated frogs are easier -- electrically -- to install, but those with powered frogs let the trains run through them better.

Back