Pulling The Trigger

elsner203

I have my benchwork complete, my foam glued down and my track is where is needs to be. I've had the entire day off today to start the juicy stuff like gluing the track down, ballasting, placing buildings, etc, but just can't seem to pull the trigger.

Hopefully someone else out there can relate to this? Trying to build up the courage to make permanent decisions!

Yep, I can relate to your predicament. I have been putting of doing wiring on my layout for a couple of weeks for fear of messing it up.

Cheers,

I too can relate. I had all my track in place but not attached for almost a year. I my case it was because my layout occupies two bedrooms and I was putting off the cutting of hole in the wall. Now that I finally cut the holes, progress is now back on track.

images[4] (2).jpg

My excuse

Meh come on man, I don't know what you guys are afraid of, just get er done.

As modelers, we all make mistakes, even the seasoned pros. Just go for it and remember ANYTHING can be fixed.

Ok, today is the day for sure. Track is in place. Ready to ballast and place some buildings so I can show some progress. I think my wife would like that, too.

I think I've watched enough YouTube videos now.

It's just, like, my first time, ya know?

Meh come on man, I don't know what you guys are afraid of, just get er done.

As modelers, we all make mistakes, even the seasoned pros. Just go for it and remember ANYTHING can be fixed.

Thanks to your words of wisdom, I have begun my job; so if it all goes wrong, it's your fault :)

Anything can be fixed? What about a piece of track where a joiner has not sat properly and the track is glued and ballasted in place?

Cheers,

I ballasted some of my track today and I realized, the whole track is on top of a 2" slab of foam. Tear up the track and i might take some foam with it. Whoop-e-do!

I glue my track down with weather strip adhesive (rubber cement). Holds it tight but lets it expand and contract with the temp changes. Any time I need to pull some up I just slip a putty knife under the ties and slide it along to separate it. no damage to the track or road bed ( I use cork). When I'm done I just re glue it back in place.

I've been working (procrastinating) on expanding out to the next room for 20 years. finally did it this winter. I finally ran out of "what if I ...."'s.
The track plan's been done for years, but as soon as I started actually doing it, I ended up making a dozen changes to what I had thought was the "PERFECT" plan.

I've been working (procrastinating) on expanding out to the next room for 20 years. finally did it this winter. I finally ran out of "what if I ...."'s.
The track plan's been done for years, but as soon as I started actually doing it, I ended up making a dozen changes to what I had thought was the "PERFECT" plan.

That sounds all too familiar :)

Once you've torn out a fully functioning helix there won't be a lot of actions that will intimidate you.

I have my train station glued down and about a third of the track ballasted. I'm using Bachmann EZ Track (I know, I know) so I just ballasted halfway(ish) up the built-in roadbed and I think it looks pretty good. Getting the ballast between the track and the station platforms has been tricky, but I think I pulled it off.

I'll get some progress pics posted soon.

Back