Pulled the Trigger

Bioman67

A bit about me, I grew up in the north east (New Jersey) but retired in Texas. Getting back into the hobby after going a different route in the mid 80's. I made a trip to Discount Model Trains in Addison TX yesterday to get going on new N scale layout. Before going to the store, I thought a bit about what RR if any I wanted to emulate. I remembered my favorite uncle Russell, a real down to earth guy despite being a Master’s degree Mechanical Engineering graduate of MIT at around 20 years old. Russell and aunt Pegs home was a place I always looked forward to visiting as his house was filled with PRR items such as railroad signals converted to table lamps, framed memorabilia such as train schedules and more etc. Russell was one of PRR VP and also served on the national transportation board during the Nixon’s era. I am told, he introduced the concept of Piggy Backing to the PRR, at least this is the family lore (no idea if this is fact or fiction). Russel always took the time to mentor me and gave some good career advise as a young graduate, all of which did a lot to help me to have a successful career. So, it seemed fitting to go the PRR route, admittedly I know little to nothing of the PRR and have a lot of learning to do. So here is what I picked out, I think this will be a good start. PS, the PRR tumbler shown, one of a dozen were given to me when Russel passed on. Now I just need to figure out a layout, based on the currently limited space I have. PS, the people at Discount Model in Addison TX are a pretty patient bunch willing to answer a whole lot of newbie questions, great prices as well. PS, PS. If anyone has a PRR specific layout I would love to hear from you.

Attachments

• 20231205_083158.jpg
    20231205_083158.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20231205_083205.jpg
    20231205_083205.jpg
    541 KB · Views: 51
  • 20231205_083255.jpg
    20231205_083255.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 20231205_083309.jpg
    20231205_083309.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20231205_083332.jpg
    20231205_083332.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 51
Welcome to the forum, and don't forget................... if you're interested in the PRR, then by all means look for a good book or two on the subject. I'll bet there is more books available on the PRR than any other railroad in the country. I know that several good books on my favorite railroad helped me tremendously in learning about it and figuring out which way to go for modeling purposes.

And if you're limited in space at home, you might also see if there is a nearby N-Trak club you could join. You can learn a lot from fellow club members, and have a big layout to run on whenever they set up at some venue. Good luck in your adventures! :)👍

Welcome aboard.
Starting out at Discount Model Trains was a very wise idea. Wayne, Jim and Dave (and a fourth fellow whose name I don't recall), are really great. I've been dealing with Jim and Wayne for over 25 years, since Bob and Betty Wilson owned the place. Jim owns it now. I drive 65 miles to get there and never leave with less than $300 left behind; gotta make the trip worth the gas!
I'll echo what Louis posted about heading over to the Coffee Shop where some of our PRR experts hang out. I model ATSF in HO, so I can't be much help with PRR in N, but ask away with general questions.

Welcome back to the hobby Bioman67. You're never too old or too far removed to rejoin model railroading. I'm a young 76, got back into MRing with n scale and Unitrack about 3 years ago. My layout is in an unheated (and poorly insulated) detached garage, but here in Sacramento it doesn't get too cold in the winter. The Unitrack seems to hold up just fine.

You have some questions to ask your self before you decide on a layout plan and everything else. Do you like to see trains run or does switching and ops interest you more? Is the process (planning, building, scenery, etc) or the completion more important? How large of a layout? Shelf, around the walls or table layout? These are questions to ask yourself and others, but you will probably end up with 20 or more revisions to a track plan before you decide (I went through 33 iterations and then I expanded the layout twice more after I thought I was done and running trains). Invest in track planning software, especially with sectional track. I bought AnyRail early on and it is quite effective, but there are others as well. Do some research on DCC wiring and turnout control (it is a lot easier than it may seem). The Digitrax Zephyr is a good starter unit with enough amperage for multiple trains. Join the NMRA and get acquainted with your local region - lots of good resources and knowledge there.

And have fun! Remember it is your railroad so ultimately make it what you want it to be. And keep in mind that you will never really complete it... :cool:

Welcome back to the hobby Bioman67. You're never too old or too far removed to rejoin model railroading. I'm a young 76, got back into MRing with n scale and Unitrack about 3 years ago. My layout is in an unheated (and poorly insulated) detached garage, but here in Sacramento it doesn't get too cold in the winter. The Unitrack seems to hold up just fine.

You have some questions to ask your self before you decide on a layout plan and everything else. Do you like to see trains run or does switching and ops interest you more? Is the process (planning, building, scenery, etc) or the completion more important? How large of a layout? Shelf, around the walls or table layout? These are questions to ask yourself and others, but you will probably end up with 20 or more revisions to a track plan before you decide (I went through 33 iterations and then I expanded the layout twice more after I thought I was done and running trains). Invest in track planning software, especially with sectional track. I bought AnyRail early on and it is quite effective, but there are others as well. Do some research on DCC wiring and turnout control (it is a lot easier than it may seem). The Digitrax Zephyr is a good starter unit with enough amperage for multiple trains. Join the NMRA and get acquainted with your local region - lots of good resources and knowledge there.

And have fun! Remember it is your railroad so ultimately make it what you want it to be. And keep in mind that you will never really complete it... :cool:
For me it's more the "what can I do with it" factor. Also for me scenery is a main reason I want to get back into it. My layout is mostly based on modern/now, designed with high speed trains in mind, but have plenty of space left for some other stuff, maybe a "train museum" and some modern industry. Tbh I am making it up as I go along LOL.

A bit about me, I grew up in the north east (New Jersey) but retired in Texas. Getting back into the hobby after going a different route in the mid 80's. I made a trip to Discount Model Trains in Addison TX yesterday to get going on new N scale layout. Before going to the store, I thought a bit about what RR if any I wanted to emulate. I remembered my favorite uncle Russell, a real down to earth guy despite being a Master’s degree Mechanical Engineering graduate of MIT at around 20 years old. Russell and aunt Pegs home was a place I always looked forward to visiting as his house was filled with PRR items such as railroad signals converted to table lamps, framed memorabilia such as train schedules and more etc. Russell was one of PRR VP and also served on the national transportation board during the Nixon’s era. I am told, he introduced the concept of Piggy Backing to the PRR, at least this is the family lore (no idea if this is fact or fiction). Russel always took the time to mentor me and gave some good career advise as a young graduate, all of which did a lot to help me to have a successful career. So, it seemed fitting to go the PRR route, admittedly I know little to nothing of the PRR and have a lot of learning to do. So here is what I picked out, I think this will be a good start. PS, the PRR tumbler shown, one of a dozen were given to me when Russel passed on. Now I just need to figure out a layout, based on the currently limited space I have. PS, the people at Discount Model in Addison TX are a pretty patient bunch willing to answer a whole lot of newbie questions, great prices as well. PS, PS. If anyone has a PRR specific layout I would love to hear from you.
Oh, you're going to have fun. I got back I about 3 years ago. The DCS52 is a good starting system, but it only lasted about a year before I wanted to upgrade. Now I have WAY too many locos for it. Switches to a 210+. The Zepher is now just a booster. Still totally worth the money. Enjoy!

A bit about me, I grew up in the north east (New Jersey) but retired in Texas.
That is certainly night and day difference on multiple levels.

So, it seemed fitting to go the PRR route, admittedly I know little to nothing of the PRR and have a lot of learning to do.
At one time in the past the Pennsy's track work was called the "standard of the world". The Pennsy has many unique and interesting locomotives as they tried to do things better, faster, cheaper, and more efficiently. They had large territories of electrification that further adds mystique. I believe you could spend the rest of your life just researching the company, their route, finances, trains, locos, and innovations. AND there are tons of research references out there so you don't have to go rummaging through the dusty spider infested archives of the library to find information on it (as opposed to researching something like the Wadley Southern). Have fun, my opinion is that research is one of the most fun parts of the hobby.

Picked up a book on the history of the PRR, dry but informative ;) Also purchased two volumes detailing their engines. As I am in Texas I may be alone in my area doing PRR as western RR is what seems popular here. There is a group in Dallas that is heavily into PRR but in O scale, I may check them out at some point.

Back