PSX-AR Voltage Drop

gjohnston

Slow Learner
Hi all,

I am experiencing a slight voltage drop when my locos enter a reversing section on my layout. I notice it because my loco's slightly slow down when they enter the reverse loop and slightly speed up when exiting it. Is this normal? I have two reverse loops with identical PSX-AR units controlling them. I don't notice a slowdown in one of the reverse loops but do notice it in the other. I have checked all of my wiring connections, feeder wires, and main track bus wires and connections. This has not made any difference in the reverse loop slowdown.

I have not swapped the PSX-AR units yet to see if that makes a difference. But may do so depending on the answers I get here on the forum.

It isn't a big deal. But I thought is was worth checking into.

Thanks for the help.

Oooops. I am slightly embarrassed. :eek: I just took another look at the installation of the offending PSX-AR and discovered that I had installed it backwards. I am surprised it worked at all. Problem solved.

After further review........ with the wiring correct I still notice a slight slowdown when entering the reverse loops, yes both of them, but as I said, it is not a big deal.

Greg,

Other than the "usual power problem reasons" I can't help you at all sorry. It may not be a big deal but still, something does seem out of whack.

Hi Greg, I'm absolutely no expert on this, but I do like to research stuff, 'cause it's all info that some day might solve a problem. I found this PDF https://tonystrains.com/download/PSXAR_install_manual_RevO_for_website.pdf and on P13 it talks about a timing delay. May be helpful?

Hi Toot,

The section of the manual you are referring to talks about the trains shuddering or hesitating as they enter or leave the reversing section. Mine did that when I first connected the units to the track. But I solved it by assigning both of the units an address and adjusting the delay as per instructions. The loco's no longer shudder, they just slow down ever so slightly when entering the reversing section, then speed back up again when they exit. It happens on both loops, but more so on one than the other.

It is certainly something I can live with. It just struck me as a little odd.

Oddly enough, what you are experiencing is similar to what happens at my club where we have 2 places that require reversing switches. One is a return loop, the other a short pass through between sections of the layout. Because the layout can be run in either DC or DCC modes, automatic switches such as you have can't be used. But, I can and do, flip the manual reversing switch by hand as quickly as I can when I see the front wheels of the lead loco (usually I run consists) hit the insulated rail joint. Now I realise there's no way I could be as fast in the make, break, make of the polarity as an electronic switch, but that slight slowing, speeding up effect is just noticeable. It may not be the reversing switch that is causing that to happen, but the loco/s decoders themselves, readjusting to the change.

Oddly enough, what you are experiencing is similar to what happens at my club where we have 2 places that require reversing switches. One is a return loop, the other a short pass through between sections of the layout. Because the layout can be run in either DC or DCC modes, automatic switches such as you have can't be used. But, I can and do, flip the manual reversing switch by hand as quickly as I can when I see the front wheels of the lead loco (usually I run consists) hit the insulated rail joint. Now I realise there's no way I could be as fast in the make, break, make of the polarity as an electronic switch, but that slight slowing, speeding up effect is just noticeable. It may not be the reversing switch that is causing that to happen, but the loco/s decoders themselves, readjusting to the change.

Very interesting.

Back