PRR Passenger Cars 1920's

Rednarb

I love trains!
So, I've got a PRR K4 post WW1 version and I want to get some passenger cars to go with it. I know little about passenger cars so I'm both looking for a source of info and for suggestions on brand and what-not.

I looked at the passenger cars at the LHS but they all seem a lot longer than the pictures I've seen from the era, making me think that they are later model. Also, being so long I know they don't run and/or look well on 18" radius.

For the time I am stuck with 18" radius so I'd like some shorter passenger cars, but I still want them to be prototypical if possible. Any suggestions?

TIA,

Eric

Actually the cars you saw were prototypical... Cars built from the 20's were @ 70-85 feet long. Some of these cars were still ran until 1968. I understand what your talking about when it comes to long cars on a short radius turn. You can use an older car similar to the "wild west looking" cars they were 40-60 ft. but you might have to custom paint them and close in the platforms to be more era like...or if your skilled enough in kit bashing you can downsize the longer cars to fit a smaller layout.

1st two pics are cars built in 1882

3rd is from 1914

Not sure build year on 4th but it's close to 20-30's

Last edited by a moderator:
You want to look at Heavyweight passenger cars. The ones from Walthers are good. The IHC ones are cheap, and not very prototypical.

Kennedy

Back