Prototype question

Gregjl

Hello All, Does anyone know the purpose of the piece of metal that surrounds the front coupler on an ES44AC or similar? Would it be a cow catcher? Snow plow, rock deflector. This seemed like a good place to ask a general question.

Thanks

The flat metal plate on the ends of the engine is called the pilot or pilot sheet. The snow plow is attached to it. "Cowcatchers" were last used in the 1860's and 1870's. After then it was called a pilot.

Okay I'll ask, what's an anti=climber? Also, I'm modeling in N scale and so far I'm thinking they can only be so faithful.

Okay I'll ask, what's an anti=climber? Also, I'm modeling in N scale and so far I'm thinking they can only be so faithful.
An anticlimber is basically a large thick piece of steel located at the end or the frame, at walkway level. It extends past the walkway, and the intent is for vehicles struck by the locomotive are snagged by this piece of steel sticking out, which prevents them from going up and over the walkway, into the nose and cab of the locomotive. It prevents them from climbing over the pilot, hence the term that became the name.

An anticlimber is basically a large thick piece of steel located at the end or the frame, at walkway level. It extends past the walkway, and the intent is for vehicles struck by the locomotive are snagged by this piece of steel sticking out, which prevents them from going up and over the walkway, into the nose and cab of the locomotive. It prevents them from climbing over the pilot, hence the term that became the name.
So, I guess, on a model, if the front edge of the walkway sticks out over the coupler, that represents the anticlimber.

B36 at 91 Bay.jpg

Anticlimber sticks out over coupler to prevent another car or engine from climbing over the deck and into the cab area.

BTW: Railroad locomotives and rolling stock are not vehicles no matter how reasonable or logical that sounds to the average person.

What are they then, boats with wheels ? All powered and non-powered machinery which are able to roll and carry people, animals, and goods, are vehicles..I know, it sort of diminishes the fact that it's a huge railroad engine. Even this computer is a vehicle for communication..

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen that part of a train of course but never thought it might be considered a separate part with a name and a function. I've searched for websites to learn more about parts of a diesel locomotive (my original question) but all I learn is that I can buy parts to fix my loco, if I had one. I can buy a real train too if I had the money and a place to put it

They are vehicles, but NOT "motor vehicles" from a legal standpoint. The state motor vehicle codes do not apply to them or the people that operate them. When I was a trainmaster, I had to carry a letter from the state attorney general stating that in order to keep police from hassling the crews for "speeding" (railroad speed 60 mph and highway speed of the road next to it 35 mph) or other traffic violations and to keep the crews from being drug tested by the police after a grade crossing accident. (Except in the state of Louisiana where the drug testing laws refer to "vehicle" instead of "motor vehicle", then it doesn't matter whether its a bicycle or a car or a train, if somebody dies, the operator's gonna be tested).

Last edited:

Back