Proto 2000 GP20 frame/GP7 shell

Zephyr

Rocket Red
I am looking at putting a GP7 hood onto a GP20 frame. Does anyone know if an Atlas GP7 hood would fit the frame of a Proto 2000 GP20? There seems to be more Atlas shells available than Proto 2000. Thanks for your help!

The GP-7 Phase II and Phase III have same frame length as the GP-20 but the bolster center lines were one inch shorter than on the GP-20. It may fit but, as Josh said, why not just get the correct sheel for the frame?

I am modeling a chop-nose GP7 (actually a GP7 that had its cab & nose replaced with one from a GP20) and I am thinking it might be easier to replace the hood instead of the cab. Are the hoods from the from both manufacturers roughly the same dimension?

Josh, thanks for the tip on the shell at Atlas! If I go with an Atlas shell, that is the best option.

Also, does it matter if I get the Japan version or the China version for the Atlas GP7 shell? They both look the same.

Been there....done that. In N scale the shells from GP7's,9's 18's and 20's will pretty much interchange. On some combinations, you may have to remove a tab, or cut a new slot, but they fit on the chassis, and fit under the cab slots. Atlas shells are one piece (at least all mine were) so you have to cut the shell under the cab. The GP20 does not have the correct fuel tank for the other GP's due to lack of airtanks....My solution for that was to use a TT long hood. The fuel tank is still a little large, but most people don't notice. The GP20 nose also has a bit of slope to it where the other GP's had flat profiles....but a lot of chop-nose GP's were done by the railroads, not the factory, so there are a lot of variations out there.

China is the newer version, I think. Try calling Atlas and asking, you'd want the newer run, IMHO.

Thanks! I got an undec GP20 and bought the China version of the GP7 hood. I'll keep you updated on the progress, although it probably won't be finished for another month or so. Thanks again everyone for your help.

That's funny. I almost bid on that same GP20. I've been looking for an undec shell with the D/B's. I stayed up till midnight last night to bid on it and then at the last minute realized I didn't know if I was bidding on one with or without the D/B's.

I'm glad you and I didn't get into a bidding war.

That's crazy! I actually barely got it; it ended at my max bid at the very last second. I don't know if it has DB or not and I didn't ask because I am going to replace that with the non-DB GP7 hood. I did ask if it was high or low nose because I need a low nose.

I think we should coordinate our eBay purchases from now on! ;)

The GP7 Atlas hood works well with the P2K GP20 body. Here is a photo showing the locomotive before paint and decals. Stay tuned!

img2644lh9.jpg

Back