Proto 2000 E units

Railroad Joe

Engineer, RI #424
Could anyone answer this question, will the powered chassis of the Proto 2000 E7A unit fit into a Proto 2000 E7B unit? I'm going to have a E7B unit custom painted, all I can find is unpowered B units. If I purchase a powered A unit, can I swap the chassis to power the B unit? Thanks in advance for answers!!

Regards,

Yes, they are exactly the same chassis. You should have no probems doing what you propose. You must be plannig on some long passenger trains if you need two powered units. :)

Thanks for the quick reply!! My intention is to model E7B #610 from the Rock Island, and have an E6A custom painted as #630 with it's gold nose from the 1972 Golden Rocket trip here in Illinois. I have a good friend who's father was the fireman on that trip. I thought it would be neat for my friend to see an HO Scale model of that train. Plus, as most of you know, the Rock Island in later years used just about anything to get trains over the road, as their power was failing fast on them. So powering the E7B would be for later years of freight train service.

Regards,

Hmm, I've found a number of powered B units on eBay. Some are a bit pricey though (especially sold as a AB set).

I'm actually looking for an AA set to model a CN special train but really only need one powered, so if you're interested in unloading the unpowered A unit you'll have left over let me know. :)

Mark

Back