Pros or Cons of thoughts on New HO layout

Russ

Here is what I have so far for a new layout. All thoughts, input and help is appreciated.

HO Layout Plan – Steam era of late 1800 thru early 1900
The ATSF runs thru Dodge City, Kansas to Pueblo, Colo where a D&RGW line brings coal to a CF&I Steel Mill. The AT&SF brings freight and passengers from the east while picking up coal, steel, mail and passengers to take back east while also picking up cattle along the plains of Western Kansas transporting to KC and St. Joe, MO.
AT&SF follows the Arkansas River and travels through the beginning development of Western Kansas passing through the new towns of Dodge City, Piercville, Garden City and Coolidge Kansas. Towns are mostly new settlers with less than General Stores, Post Offices a few houses and a AT &SF depot. Of course the first business establishment in Dodge City was a saloon to accommodate the soldiers 5 miles away at Fort Dodge.
The scenery contains the Western plains while moving into the foothills of Colorado and parts of the Mountains with a possible Coal Mine.
A yard at Pueblo, side tracks at Cattle pens near Pierceville, Ks, Garden City and Dodge City, Ks.
This layout will be built in a 11’6” x 13’6” room in a C shape pattern.

There are many configurations that will work in your space. Allow the benchwork to adjust if you need to.

I model 1891. I see no reason why you can't do it. Let's see a plan.

Thanks for the response.

And for the request....it may be a long wait. I have just downloaded xtrkcad4,
watched the demo and struggling.

Assuming that 3 of the 4 sides are on walls you will need to keep your reach into corners in mind during planning. Derailments always happen in the worst places so if you derail in a corner where your benchwork is 3' or more out from the wall on either side that corner could easily be a 4' reach.... and I dont know about you but most people dont have 4' arms :) If your plans require this kind of reach there are ways around it using access hatches to allow you to pop up from underneath the layout. Xtrkcad is a great tool. It may take some playing around to get used to it but there is nothing else on the market that you can get for free that does as good a job.

I second the recommendation of XTrkCAD. The Beginners Tutorial in the XTrkCAD Wiki should be enough to get you started.

As you have drawn it, the back left and back right corners of your layout are a 42-inch reach, so Bob's concern is well-founded.

- Jeff

Back