Project help

vertygo

Hello everyone,

First off, I'd just like to say that I really respect this hobby and all the detail and commitment everyone puts into it.

I'm creating a non-railroad project, using railroad parts. I apologize if this isn't the right forum, but I'm thinking the expertise I seek is here.

Basically I have a long curved HO track and I want a wireless, battery operated "engine" to simply go back and forth along the curve. I'm just really overwhelmed with the terminology and all the options that are talked about (LocoFi, EZ, Blue, etc). I do have some experience with arduino/pi tinkering, so even just a preprogrammed "go for 4 seconds, stop, reverse for 4 seconds" would be great. Where I'm lost is which engine to use, and where to find the information to begin (no current in the track). Perhaps I don't even need a standard engine, but I just love how smooth everything glides on the rails and would like to utilize that.

If this is way too far out of the way for this forum, my apologies, just let me know!

Cheers!
-Stefano

I am like you - the terminology does become a bit over whelming, especially when they are/can be a number of different names for the same thing. Apparently "keep it simple stupid" doesn't apply to this hobby :)

Anyway - to your problem and I think that is going to be finding something in HO Scale (for your track) that is battery operated let alone wifi controllable.

Can I ask why you want it that way instead of getting yourself (for example) a DC engine and cheap controller? I don't know much about that arduino stuff but you could probably make something like an auto reverser for each end of your section of track.

Interesting!

So I would have to open an actual Locomotive engine model and hack the power leads into that board? I'll hunt around for some videos on that board in action.

I was over thinking it with the battery and wifi, obviously if it's just a simple back and forth it doesn't need all the.. ahem.. bells and whistles. (sorry)

Cheers.

@Smudge617 Ah, the only problem with that module is there's no speed control. Let me know if you have a link to one with speed control (I'm talking real slow) as I'm going to look for one myself.

Making the locomotive battery operated does complicate the your options. I would recommend running off of track voltage if you really need battery operation hook the speed controller/battery to the track.
https://arduinorailwaycontrol.com/ has some good information on speed control using just arduinos. I've played with it a little bit but never fully implemented it.

I could envision using that system and then you could put some sensor that would cause the train to slow down and reverse at each end of the track.
  1. Arduino NANO board
  2. Arduino NANO screw terminal shield
  3. Motor-driver L298
  4. Any USB Cell phone charger
  5. Battery or Power supply from your railway set or similar
  6. (optional) Bluetooth module HC-06 or HC-05 want to control it from your phone.

Making the locomotive battery operated does complicate the your options. I would recommend running off of track voltage if you really need battery operation hook the speed controller/battery to the track.
https://arduinorailwaycontrol.com/ has some good information on speed control using just arduinos. I've played with it a little bit but never fully implemented it.

I could envision using that system and then you could put some sensor that would cause the train to slow down and reverse at each end of the track.
  1. Arduino NANO board
  2. Arduino NANO screw terminal shield
  3. Motor-driver L298
  4. Any USB Cell phone charger
  5. Battery or Power supply from your railway set or similar
  6. (optional) Bluetooth module HC-06 or HC-05 want to control it from your phone.
Would that work if the track isn't a closed loop ?

Would that work if the track isn't a closed loop ?
The simple way would be to put a sensor neer each and of the track. When the train triggers the sensor the arduino would be programmed to lower the voltage to zero, then change directions and increase the speed. The other sensor would trigger the opposite.

The simple way would be to put a sensor neer each and of the track. When the train triggers the sensor the arduino would be programmed to lower the voltage to zero, then change directions and increase the speed. The other sensor would trigger the opposite.
I understand that, I mean the power going to the rails. I'm going through that site and it's very difficult as it's high level stuff. I wish he just sold a kit with clear steps.

@Smudge617 Ah, the only problem with that module is there's no speed control. Let me know if you have a link to one with speed control (I'm talking real slow) as I'm going to look for one myself.

I think you'd need to add IR switches to this, but I'm not sure.

Back