Problem with steam loco

FM C liner

Hey guys,
I recieved my first steam loco the other day, it was working great until I took the tender wheels off to lube them. When I took them off one of the wheel wipers came off. I put it back on and replaced the wheels. I placed it back on the layout to run it and nothing happened. I thought maybe something was loose, so I removed the tender body. Everthing looked ok, so I put it back together and still did not work. I unplugged the loco from the tender and the engine ran without it connected. I plugged it back in and nothing. I am not sure what I screwed up here, so I need some help. If anyone knows what is wrong please let me know.

Thank You
Scott

The locomotive is a 2-8-0 consolidation, it is made by IHC. The loco was new from e bay.

I would say almost for certain that it is that when you went to put the wheels back on, the insulated side of the wheels (the side with a black rubber insulator against the wheel) were on opposing sides. On each set of trucks the insulators need to be on the same side otherwise they shortout. Tell me if that works. I had the same problem with a Bachmann Southern 4-8-2 I got at an auction, i got it without testing it, and got it home and it would not run, turns out it was the insulators on the tender wheels, it ran fine after i got them all lined up!

If you don't mind not having a backup headlight, I would try and replace the wheel sets with athearn or Kadee, I was never a big fan of IHC wheel sets, loved their engines performances though, are you enjoying yours?

I like it, I looked at the wheels and they are ok. Still does not run with tender plugged in. Runs great with out plugged in. I know it is shorting somewhere, not sure what I did wrong.

Thanks
Scott

some steam locomotives use the tender wheels for pickup. I'm betting you have one or both sets with the polarity reversed. I have 2 of the old Rivarossi Ic 4-6-0 Casey Jones locomotives and you have to watch carefully to make sure you get the tender wheels on correctly. I may be as simple as turning the truck around on it's mounting....

Problem is fixed, I switched the wheels around and everything works now. Thanks again everyone for the tips, I thought I messed it all up.

Thanks
Scott

Back