Problem with Rivarossi wheel sets

NC&StL

Does anyone have a cure for my Rivarossi 85 footer passenger cars on Code 85 rail? The wheel flanges seem to be walking on the cross ties. Just change them out for another brand of wheel?

You have a couple of reasonable choices, and a couple not so much.
First, get new wheels with shorter flanges.
Second, mill off the excess flanges.
Third, you can try some kind of tape to the treads to shim out the flanges.
Last, either stop using the cars, or sell them.
The last two aren't that great, as far as choices.

I had the same trouble with some older Fleischmann wagons. I used the wheel sets from a pair of unused ÖBB wagons. Works fine now.

Those must be at least as old as the ones I have. Though they have NEM coupler pockets they were still running on the tall flange wheels for code 100 track.

Does anyone have a cure for my Rivarossi 85 footer passenger cars on Code 85 rail? The wheel flanges seem to be walking on the cross ties. Just change them out for another brand of wheel?
As BNSF971 says there are several choices.
1. Swap out the wheel sets. Just make certain the ones you get have long enough axles, Use 33" wheels rather than the prototypical 36" or they will be rubbing against the brake shoes, unless you want to modify them to. Also note since the Rivarossi wheels are even smaller that 33" this might change the height of the coupler.
2. Swap out the trucks. IHC used to make an almost perfect metal truck replacement in black or silver (see below). They are wonderful free rollers. Can probably find them on the used market. BUT, note they are center mount not offset, so one has to build a new bolster for them. That isn't too hard, two polystyrene tubes of the right size inside of one another. They also don't have coupler mounts so one has to body mount the couplers.
3. Grind down the wheel flanges. Tedious work.

1714706432519.png

Last edited:

Back