Problem with #6 Kato Turnouts

rbwhale

On my layout I have a Right Hand Kato #6 remote switch going off the main line, connected to a Left Hand Kato #6 remote turnout that leads the other parts of the small switchyard I've planned. On the first time I ran a locomotive, the locomotive ran fine of the the mainline onto a spur, but when I switched the Left Hand turnout to move the loco into the switchyard it would not move. A check showed no voltage to any point in the switchyard. Before I start staking turnouts apart does this seem like it might be related to the "power routing" feature of the turnout?

The actual layout will be DCC; I'm just using an old MTC transformer with DC to check for problems on the track.
Thanks
rbwhale

If I remember the Kato #6 correctly, you'll need to add feeders to the spur, as when switched off the mainline, one side becomes insulated there's no inbuilt connection. (I may stand corrected) as a precaution I always add feeder's to any turnout spur.
If you intend to use DCC adding extra feeder's is good practice anyway to ensure reliability. My layout is about 8'X4' and I have feeder's every 18" or so, turnout's all have feeder's before and after including the spur.

Last edited:
If I remember the Kato #6 correctly, you'll need to add feeders to the spur, as when switched off the mainline, one side becomes insulated there's no inbuilt connection. (I may stand corrected) as a precaution I always add feeder's to any turnout spur.
If you intend to use DCC adding extra feeder's is good practice anyway to ensure reliability. My layout is about 8'X4' and I have feeder's every 18" or so, turnout's all have feeder's before and after including the spur.
So you think it's best not to rely on changing the internals of the turnouts? I suppose that gets rid of the risk of my ham-handed efforts breaking something, and it is a fairly small switchyard.
Thank you.

So you think it's best not to rely on changing the internals of the turnouts? I suppose that gets rid of the risk of my ham-handed efforts breaking something, and it is a fairly small switchyard.
Thank you.
By adding feeders all your be doing is bypassing the internal parts of the turnout, it's the easiest (and simplest) solution, rather than trying to mess around with the internal connections.

Back