Pro Cab Limit

brubakes

I have a pro cab dcc system now to start with. Since I don't the space and we will be moving shortly I was thining about insted of setting up new layout only to have to remove it I would do a simple around the room layout. And I mean simple. The room is 20x10. I was thining about just a single or double track that goes around the perimeter of the room. This would be roughlly 60 feet for a single line, 120 for a double. Is that to much track for the pro cab to handle? I would only have one or two locomotives running at one time. Nothing else.

edit: This would be HO.

IIRC it's not so much the size but the draw of the locomotives that restricts it. Two will be fine.

No I have a large loop running around a basement larger than that but one thing i use long sections of track, and jumpers at quarter points around the layout, and it works. emil

No I have a large loop running around a basement larger than that but one thing i use long sections of track, and jumpers at quarter points around the layout, and it works. emil

I'm not sure I understand your post. You said "no" at first then said "it works". Are you using flextrack? Thats what I was planning on running. :confused:

woops i use flex track long sections and jumpers to make sure the voltage is constant, since ho is dc the jumpers should be 18 to 16 gague wire, limit voltage drop under load. Emil

If you run a master bus around the underside of the layout, it should be reasonably easy to run feeder wires up to the track every 15 feet or so. Since this is only going to be in place a short time, you may not even need any extra feeder wires. Make sure the joints for the flex track are well soldered and that any rail joiners are clean and tight. I think you'll find that voltage drop over sixty feet of track will be negligible if it's esentially a temporary layout and you don't have to worry about years of corrosion.

I'm powering my 4x8 loop (with sidings) from the wires coming out the DCC system to a pair of roach clips clamped onto the end of a stub siding. It's been like this for 6yrs now, and I haven't had any problems. Also, I'm using a mixture of flextrack and sectional track, with lots of track joiners.

This is probably the worst in terms of good wiring practice, but it's serviceable to date. For the upper level on the second 4x8, I split the bus coming out of the system and spliced in another set of connectors which became track joiners. That section is run by itself as well.

:D

Kennedy

Back