Presenting my Newest Locomotive Kitbash!

New, from the Erecting Halls of The Mission Valley and Pacific Railway in Sunny San Diego, comes Their #3! It's a Balwdin product from 1898, fitted with traditional Victorian-era embelishments, such as Polished Brass Cylinder Heads, Running Board edges and sand filler cap. Also converted to an oil burner in to provide more economical service in Southern California, bountiful at the time of this unveiling (1910).

In a few days, she'll pull the Mission Valley and Pacific's Premiere Passenger Limited, the Imperial Valley Limited, Connecting Phoenix with San Diego via Palm Springs, Running across the desert in an unheard of 8-hour schedule.

In about 45 Years, (that's 1955 Folks) she will be retired and put in storage, servicable, and perhaps one day, (1985-Present) she shall rise again from desert sands to race across the Imperial Valley.

The NEW photos!

MVP3small10.png

MVP3013sm.png

MVP3014sm.png

MVP3016sm.png

MVP3017sm.png

MVP321sm.png

The Old Photos!

MVP3Small.png

MVP3Small2.png

MVP3Small3.png

MVP3small4.png

The Model was based on a Bachmann 4-6-0, with medium re-detailing, and A LOT of detail painting.

So what does everybody think?

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks great from what I can see of it. Is there any way you can light the locomotive a little better? At least on my computer, most of the locomotive is too dark to see much detail.

Hmmm..All I see is mostly black with no detail on the bottom two pictures. Are you able to see the drives and engine number?

UP, adjust your monitor's brightness on the monitor itself using the buttons underneath the screen. I'll add some outdoor shots in a little bit to my first post so all can see!

Miles, she's adjusted all the way up but it's an old monitor so your pics may be a lot better than what I'm seeing. Some outdoor shoots would be cool though. I'm thinking about get a Bachmann 4-6-0 for tourist service so I'd like to really be able to see what you did. I've a UP 4-8-4 but them management is too cheap to run that for tourist trains. :)

Yeah, I can see just about everything. Sounds like you've got some monitor issues there. I can relate on that one, but mine was a graphics card issue on a hand me down computer from my sister. I've since stripped the memory card & hard drive, and dropped them into my old tower, and its much clearer now.

Miles,
The new pictures are much better on my crummy monitor, thank you. That's a nice looking model. I really like those polished cylinder heads. I think the Virginia and Truckee had a very similar locomotive - I'll have to pull out my V&T books and check. I've always wanted to do a V&T steamer and this one looks like it might be just about right.

Well, dig out your V&T books, purchase a bachmann 4-6-0, and send it to me to redetail. Make sure to include extra detail parts you wish to have added to match your V&T prototype. Contact me via Pm for more details, please! :)

Miles, I might consider that since I'm not a steam guy. I'll see what I can dig up and see if it's really close enough to use without a bunch of major alteratiosn.

Miles
Hope i'm not butting in here but I photoshoped those 2 just a bit. The ten wheeler looks great.
Did a bit of modifying on one myself after reading a artical in Garden Railways several years ago.

Back