premixed plaster

wilson44512

Newbie RRDER
Do they make premixed plaster that dries after you apply it? I have been trying to use plaster of Paris but it either dries too fast before i get it all on or its to runny. i cant get it the right mixer to last a small amount of time. And yes i have tried just mixing a little at a time .

I've been using Patching Plaster in the brown bag w/the red or green stripe for about 10 years. You can make the mix thickness however you want, thin or thick. You can also add color if you want in the mix. I use an old SS salad bowl. It is a lot stronger than Plaster of Paris & lays well on Aluminum Screen for a base.

If you live by Homedepot or any hardware store, try getting a gallon of
Beadex all purpose joint compound.
This is use to install and finish sheet rock.It works great but do not put it on too thick because it will crack when it dries! they also make it in a dry mix that you add water and you can get it in different set time . Hope this helps
Dean

how is the drying time if i make it like peanut butter? or a little thinner

Is there something here?

I didn't see anything there that I use. I buy mine at Ace Hardware. Mine comes in a 35# bag. I don't make it to thick when I mix it. Just have to mix a cpl. batches to get what you want. I leave it for 24 hrs. before I add anything to it like paint or a wash. It usually dries white. If you want to do any carving before it dries you will have to pay attention to the drying time.
If you make it to thick it will dry before you can get it out of the mixing bowl.

If you use Sheetrock Mudd just be careful of the thickness of the 1st cover because it will crack. When I make roads I do use Sheetrock Mudd & when it cracks I fill them in w/latex caulk & leave the fine line cracks for road cracks.

Back