Preliminary layout

suprduc

Started a preliminary laying of track tonight to test fit a few things and see what I will have to work with. Starting out with a small freight yard and repair shop on a 2'x6' area. Should be able to expand it to about 10' in the next few months or so. Once I determine where everything will be going it will be laid out on 2" foam above the wood. Please feel free to let me know your thoughts, I'm always interested in other viewpoints.

This was the original plan that was in my head. Three lines on the left for rolling stock, each line will be about 12" longer than what is in the picture. The right two fingers will make up the track that go to an engine repair shop.
2295432838_d10227e7e1_o.jpg

I quickly decided that I could fit one more rolling stock line in there once I get one more switch. #4 switches for the freight yard and #6 switches for the entrance/exit to the freight yard and engine repair area.
2295432846_4c86d235e8_o.jpg

Overhead view of the area
2295432854_8ea68f1fe5_o.jpg

CN Dash 9-44CW pulling a small load out of the freight yard.
2295432860_e7d703aef4_o.jpg

Heading out.
2295432866_89f5cc7c2b_o.jpg

Its starting to look nice! I can picture some buildings, more trackage, cars, etc, and that would be a fun little yard to switch out.

Carl, you are as bad as I was. I started laying down just some"test track" on the plywood and then started running some "test trains". :) Took me about a month to recover and get back to laying down roadbed and all those other boring things. Looks like a nice yard though.

:D Thanks Jim. Give me a little credit though, I don't even have power yet. :eek: I do know what you mean though, I could just run down to the LHS and grab some more track......I could probably find a few more feet of room if I move some things around a bit too.........:D

Okay all, looking for some more constructive criticism from you. I was able to expand my benchwork lately so consequently all of my "preliminary" track was uprooted and I started over. I wanted something that was going to be able to be expanded on down the road and this is what I have come up with. Freight yard against the wall will have room to continue around the corner when the time comes with the track that is sticking off of the end being the mainline. (Bench will be moved for more room in that corner. :D) Cardboard square underneath the CN loco represents the Pikestuff enginehouse which should arrive this week. There will be a short spur that goes just to the left of the enginehouse to be used as a "decoder track" as well as a third spur on the right for the third shop bay.

Other plans are to add a yard office to the area between the freight yard and enginehouse and possibly a second mainline going out since there are two mainlines coming in.

2337544258_42242e059d_o.jpg

Carl, I can't see on your new layout, but before, there was not enough room on the layout to use the turnout near the edge, so half of what you have, meaning the engine house area, is inaccessible.

Thanks for the feedback Chip. I made a few adjustments and I think that everything should be in the clear now with some room for everything to move. Added a "bridge" to the end of the layout to lengthen everything which puts me at 10'8" overall length. I wonder if the wife would mind if I put a tunnel through the wall? :eek: :cool:

2338700943_0479fc1844.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the wife would mind if I put a tunnel
Do it and then ask if it's ok :D Works most times maybe a bit peevish but it works none the less :rolleyes:

Cheers

From the looks of things right now it looks like you can't turn a engine around. A runaround would allow you to do that plus add other yard switching options.

Back