Preimum Lines

brubakes

Looking for what would be considered the higher end line for the different manufactures so I can get a better idea on what I'm buying.

Bachmann - Spectrium
Life Like - Proto 1000 and Proto 2000
Athern - Genesis

Othewise, I dont know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Broadway Limited , Kato & Atlas are also good Locomotives , I like Mckean Models , Roundhouse and Athearn for rolling stock

Proto 1000 is not a higher end, thats actually the low end. However they're still better then plain Life-like. Its the same with Bachmann, Bachmann Plus & Bachmann Spectrum.

As Paul aid BLI/PCM, Kato, & Atlas (gold & silver, or even plain Atlas, excluding trainman) are the higher end stuff, along the likes of Genesis. Altas Trainman would be like buying Athearn RTR, or Blue Box (though trainman is RTR if I'm not mistaken). Blue box is a fan term, for Athearn kits.

The new Walther's Gold line would be a higher end line too.

Most Walther's, you cannot go wrong with, such is the case with Athearn, Roundhouse, McKean, Stewart/Bowser, Atlas, Kato...

I have a Bachmann Sprectrum 2-6-6-2 (W & L.E.) and it looks and runs very nice. Had to add DCC to it and it needs sound.

I also have a Sprectrum 4-6-2 and I'm not very happy with it. It's been in the shop for repairs and it still does not run right - slows down excessively in every turn. I'm ready to give it away.

I have 3 Genesis locomotives - all steam - of UP's FEF 844, Challenger 3958 and Big Boy 4024. These are very, very nice but they ain't cheap. DC or DCC with 12 sounds and nice details.

I have one Rivarossi and one IHC locomotive. The IHC 4-8-2 runs very well for a $125~ locomotive. Added DCC card wasn't too diffucult. The Rivarossi is a 1997 version of UP's 844. Runs okay but was a PITA to conver to DCC. After buying the Genesis 844, the Rivarossi version is now on permanent display and will not be run again.

Back