Power problems in the curves

moodytx

Hello to all,

This is my first post on the forum and I want to thank all of you for providing this venue to ask questions and discuss issues.

I put on a large computer sequenced light show for our Christmas display. One of our display elements is a G-Scale train that is suspended from the porch ceiling.

I am running a Bachman 4-6-0 White Christmas train set on a track layout that is a large oval. About 40' down the front, 3 curved pieces of track, 2 straights, 3 more curved pieces and then 40' back down the other way (same curve repeats on the other end).

I am running the OEM power pack which appears to be 1 amp and puts about 15VDc on the track.

The issue I am having is in the curves. As the train enters the curve it slows down, then picks up a little speed in the 2 track straight before the exit curve. Here is where it all most stops. I measured the voltage on the track as it exits the curve and it drops to about 7.5VDc.

Once clear of this curve, the voltage on the track jumps back up to about 15VDc and the train runs at normal speed. Note also I have to run the controller wide open to try to keep the train moving at all times.

What I dont understand is that on the layout that comes with the set, you never see any slow down and you never see the engine labor through the curves. On my suspended track it almost acts like the curve is to tight. I realize that I have 90' or so of steel, Bachman, track outside (it is covered, but it does rust) and the voltage drop must be pretty large.

I'm hoping someone can offer some suggestions as to what I might be able to do to improve the situation. My guests really love the suspended train.

Can I beef up the power suppy? Should I put power taps periodically along the track? Should I upgrade the track (one that conducts electricity better and weathers the elements)? Keep in mind this train only runs about 30 days out of the year.

I have attached a picture of the layout.

Thank you for reading a long first post and thank you again for the forum.

Best regards,

Bob Moody

slow corners

I would try running a 50 foot 16 GA extension cord to transmit the 15 VDC to the other end (JUST don't plug it into the socket). If that takes care of the problem get 16 ga lamp cord and add power drops at 2 or 3 places. I don't like to spend money before I am sure it will give good results.

Armchair armchairmodeling.blogspot.com

Back