Power packs for lighting?

Rusty_08

Hello everyone,
Still somewhat of a noob but looking to add lighting to my layout, first with structures. I read a lot of ppl recommend using a DC power pack to control lighting and I also have a terminal block that I could probably use. So would I connect the wires from the power pack into the terminal block and put feeder wires from the lights into the terminal block? Thanks in advance.

Incandescent or LED lighting is a personal preference. When using either you must ensure that the power output of your power supply does not exceed the rating of your bulbs. I use a 12 volt supply, but I use 16v Miniatronics incandescent bulbs. Not quite as bright as if I used 16v power but bright enough and they will last longer. You could just use 12v bulbs.
I just recently began to use LED's in some situations. Be aware that they need resistors in line to reduce the voltage. I think but I am not sure that they use just 3v. Most of the LED's that I have purchased come with the correct resistors for using on a 12v circuit. They are also + & - sensitive.
Besides using old DC power packs, you can use discarded chargers that come with electronic gear like battery chargers, cordless power tools and the like. Just be sure to read on the charger what the output is. Their amperage output is usually less than a power pack and will not power as many bulbs.

Hello everyone,
Still somewhat of a noob but looking to add lighting to my layout, first with structures. I read a lot of ppl recommend using a DC power pack to control lighting and I also have a terminal block that I could probably use. So would I connect the wires from the power pack into the terminal block and put feeder wires from the lights into the terminal block? Thanks in advance.
That would work.

Some power packs have separate accessory port otherwise are you planning to use the rheostat control?

I am using an old computer cord has the converter built in, I chopped it off an old laptop I recycled. It says 3 amp and is 12 volt, works really smooth. It has the built in buffering which holds current for a little while after power is shut off, maybe 5 to 10 seconds of fading takes place with the lights when power is off. Looks cool, kind of surprised me the first time.

I used the multimeter to determine + and minus, had to have that cause lights are LED. Shows no voltage when incorrectly connected otherwise voltage shows when properly connected. I marked each wire and have been adding lights, the accessory wire goes around the whole layout and I have been adding lights as I go.

Thanks for the replies. So 2 wires from the power pack to the terminal block would work?
Yes, but if you use a distribution board and not a block it will make it easier to install or fault find if necessary.

As has been said if using LED's a resistor is needed for 12v. You can get LED's pre fitted with them, you can also get 12v SMD's for buildings.

You can get the LED's in warm white, or bright white, warm white is ideal for buildings or passenger cars.

Thanks for the replies. So 2 wires from the power pack to the terminal block would work?
Depending on the size of your layout, you could chain several of those strips together. That way it would keep your lighting wiring much more organized.

Yes, but if you use a distribution board and not a block it will make it easier to install or fault find if necessary.

As has been said if using LED's a resistor is needed for 12v. You can get LED's pre fitted with them, you can also get 12v SMD's for buildings.

You can get the LED's in warm white, or bright white, warm white is ideal for buildings or passenger cars.
So would I just hook up the DC wire from the power pack to the distribution board? I originally asked if I hooked up both AC and DC wires but I read that wouldnt be right. Thx

So would I just hook up the DC wire from the power pack to the distribution board? I originally asked if I hooked up both AC and DC wires but I read that wouldnt be right. Thx

No, wiring up AC and DC would only cause you more problems that it's worth, you can wire up one or the other but both is not a good idea.

Hook up the power supply to something like this one I've shown, there are also ones available with their own switches too, you can Google to see what's available and most suits your needs, something like these are not only quite cheap (around $4) but easy to wire up or, as you can see, plug in.

1680645737556.png

You've posted that you are going to use a DC power supply, in my experience LED's and SMD's are more stable on a DC power supply than AC anyway, I used to power my LED's on AC and would frequently have blown LED's that I then needed to replace, now I use DC and so far have had no problems.

No, wiring up AC and DC would only cause you more problems that it's worth, you can wire up one or the other but both is not a good idea.

Hook up the power supply to something like this one I've shown, there are also ones available with their own switches too, you can Google to see what's available and most suits your needs, something like these are not only quite cheap (around $4) but easy to wire up or, as you can see, plug in.

View attachment 166043

You've posted that you are going to use a DC power supply, in my experience LED's and SMD's are more stable on a DC power supply than AC anyway, I used to power my LED's on AC and would frequently have blown LED's that I then needed to replace, now I use DC and so far have had no problems.
Thanks, appreciate it. Can you tell me where those are sold cheap? I've only seen them on Amazon for quite a bit.

Thanks, appreciate it. Can you tell me where those are sold cheap? I've only seen them on Amazon for quite a bit.
eBay has them, also try your LHS they should also have.

Cheapest are the ones from China if your prepared to wait, although I found this one in the US. but at $9 ?

Last edited:

Back