Power Pack to wire up switches?

What would you guys recommend as far as a powerpack goes for wiring up turnout switches etc? Just a cheapo? Its on a 4x8 layout so dont need to much power, would prefer osmething cheap. Thanks!

Sounds good thanks. Is there any type of "power block" or something that I can run one set of wires directly to the power pack and then run sets of wires off the block to the switches? If so, what are those called, been looking and on ebay and cant find anything

Use the AC terminals for the switch machines, you get a little more kick, don't really have to worry about current draw as it's instantaneous...run the wires to a terminal block, radio shack has them, then pick up from there to the actuator buttons.
Use the DC output for the lights so you can dim them...unless you have a LOT of lights, you'll be fine with something small.
Dick

Use the AC terminals for the switch machines, you get a little more kick, don't really have to worry about current draw as it's instantaneous...run the wires to a terminal block, radio shack has them, then pick up from there to the actuator buttons.
Use the DC output for the lights so you can dim them...unless you have a LOT of lights, you'll be fine with something small.
Dick

some of the older packs have a fixed dc and a variable dc..if you are hooking up lights or signals use the variable dc and you can adjsut how bright the lights are...if you use the fixed they will run 12v constant and shorthen the life of your bulbs...

Another great option and what I am using on my 4X8 is an old laptop power supply. Any power supply will do, as long as the voltage and amperage is right. I got very lucky and had a 12V 5Amp power supply (power brick) from god knows where, I mounted it under my benchwork and ran the leads to terminal strips. I am running 10 turnouts and about 30 or 40 small lights off it so far and I'm not even putting a dent in it.

Hope this helps.

Another great option and what I am using on my 4X8 is an old laptop power supply. Any power supply will do, as long as the voltage and amperage is right. I got very lucky and had a 12V 5Amp power supply (power brick) from god knows where, I mounted it under my benchwork and ran the leads to terminal strips. I am running 10 turnouts and about 30 or 40 small lights off it so far and I'm not even putting a dent in it.

Hope this helps.

Love this idea!! Helps me! I have a lot of these I never thought of using in that way. Thanks for the tip! Have used one to power my daughter's dollhouse.

Back