Power for turnouts etc with DCC?

gouda

I am building a layout (N) using Unitrack and a MRC Advance 2 DCC system. How should I supply power to the turnouts? I am not planning on using DCC for turnout control at this time. Later likely, but not to start. I have a Kato DC powerpack I was planning on using for this. Is that the normal path to take? Or what other options are there?

Thanks..

Well I don't have DCC....yet.....but will someday. Right now the four switches on my double main line require no additional wiring what-so-ever. I'm using atlas N code 80 track with DC power. The manual switches can be triggered in any/every possible alignments and never lose power, nor short circuit, nor cause any problem at all. I don't have any reverse loops.

So I realize DCC could be different.....and kato track and turnouts could be different, and I'm glad your asking the question....and I'll follow along to see what others say......but I'm amazed how my current track and switches work brilliantly with only a two wire connection from powerpack to a single terminal track section.

Mike

Since you have a Kato DC power pack, it would be the easiest option since the turnout control switches just snap to the side of the power pack which provides power to each turnout.

Best regards,
Brian

How should I supply power to the turnouts?

Is this power to control the turn-outs, switch machine motor?
Or to power the track pieces of the turn-out such as the frog?

If the turn-out motor then any independent power supply of the proper voltage and enough current rating can be used. The turn-out motors will be totally isolated from the DCC power to the track.

Back