Postage from the US

gabby

Bob Hayes
Just went to backorder a mag I was missing.

Mag is $7.95 US but postage is $30

That's crap. What's going on with the postage system

$30 ?!?!
That can’t be regular post?
I know it’s crazy tho, it’s killing a lot of deals for me, especially when you factor in the exchange rates!

Try buying a Digitraxx sound decoder from Digitraxx, decoder's $125, postage to the UK by USPS international is $94

I bought some handrails from Bowser at $15 postage was $35

Is that actual postage or what the seller is charging?

Oh wait, I see you're down under. That's a whole other ballgame. If it's an individual seller, they could be adding additional charges for packaging, customs paperwork, researching international shipping regulations, and/or customs duties. Which of those might or might not be applicable for shipping to Australia, I don't know. Many sellers on places like Ebay simply add a hefty fee for international shipping because of the additional hassle they think is involved (regardless of what the actual cost is).

What I do see is-- according to the USPS online shipping cost estimator, shipping a large envelope from the US to Australia with dimensions of 15" x 12", less than 3/4" thick, and 8 oz. in weight, costs about $12 USD. If your magazine is larger/heavier, then it may be more, or your supplier may be charging additional fees as suggested above.

I know like turnouts that I mentioned previously; that my wife was able to get roughly 3 oxford cars shipped from England cheaper than I could pay for 2 at my LHS. Sometimes I think we are getting hosed.

Last edited:
Just went to backorder a mag I was missing.

Mag is $7.95 US but postage is $30

That's crap. What's going on with the postage system

The fact is some companies do not like to send goods abroad (here in the U.K. and elsewhere). 'Too much form filling' is a main reason? Rather than say they do not ship abroad they charge an exorbitant price for the service to 'scare customers away'. If a customer pays it, obviously more profit to them.

The fact is some companies do not like to send goods abroad (here in the U.K. and elsewhere). 'Too much form filling' is a main reason? Rather than say they do not ship abroad they charge an exorbitant price for the service to 'scare customers away'. If a customer pays it, obviously more profit to them.
Yeah ok, but $94 to send a decoder, I have no idea how much Digitraxx employees are paid but I don't think charging $94 for 15 minutes of form-filling is fair, ok, I'll settle for $64 for form-filling, $30 for postage, but still................

Yeah ok, but $94 to send a decoder, I have no idea how much Digitraxx employees are paid but I don't think charging $94 for 15 minutes of form-filling is fair, ok, I'll settle for $64 for form-filling, $30 for postage, but still................

I totally agree. That is why I put the question mark. Fifteen minutes form filling does not warrant a $94 charge. Charging such prices is ridiculous. Take away the actual postage, which is a relative small amount of dollars (the packaging is the same wherever the item/s go) the rest is profit.

Most companies have contracts with parcel/postal companies. An item that is outside that contract is 'taboo'. Which is why I said some companies do not like sending the product abroad.

I totally agree. That is why I put the question mark. Fifteen minutes form filling does not warrant a $94 charge. Charging such prices is ridiculous. Take away the actual postage, which is a relative small amount of dollars (the packaging is the same wherever the item/s go) the rest is profit.

Most companies have contracts with parcel/postal companies. An item that is outside that contract is 'taboo'. Which is why I said some companies do not like sending the product abroad.
I admit postage is stupid, but then you get stuff from Hattons here, they send it by DHL which usually takes 3 or 4 days, and it's often cheaper (and faster) than getting something sent by USPS 2 states away, so, go figure.

I admit postage is stupid, but then you get stuff from Hattons here, they send it by DHL which usually takes 3 or 4 days, and it's often cheaper (and faster) than getting something sent by USPS 2 states away, so, go figure.
Parcel contracts.
You, I or anyone else can get a list of postal charges from the Post Office.
A company like DHL can do the same, then undercut the Post Office service.

If you are a large number parcel sender, you can negotiate with any parcel carrier for a contract.
That contract is for a number of parcels to be sent per week. Say you send 500 parcels per week, parcel carriers will offer you a cheaper rate than standard charge. If you send 750 parcels per week the charge per parcel is cheaper. You can also get an even cheaper rate if those parcels are one size only.

Having a one size parcel doesn't matter what is in it providing it does not go over a certain weight. (Hence a large box with one item and a lot of packing can arrive.)

Why certain companies have faster deliveries than others is in the contracts they have with their customers.

Off course you knew all that, (as I did in trying to get contracts from customers.) 😅

That's my two penceworth/two centsworth on the subject.

Time to make dinner.

Back